Motorguide - No variable or constant on - just rabbit

INHUNTER

Cadet
I have a variable speed Motorguide foot control motor (cable driven, not electric) that recently began having problems. When using variable speed, if i press the foot button i hear a click in motorhead, but motor doesn't run. The same thing happens if switch is flipped to constant on. I hear a click, but nothing happens. However, if i put the switch to the rabbit, so it is always on high speed, when i push the foot button it works fine but of course at the fastest speed.

Does anybody know what would cause this? I haven't been able to find a service shop anywhere close to me, so it looks like i'm on my own.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

trumanlake

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Motorguide - No variable or constant on - just rabbit

model and year?

INHUNTER

Cadet

Model: Energy EF52V, 52lb thrust.
Year: I can't remember when I bought it, but think it was between 2001-2003. It is a special "Mr. Walleye" version from Cabelas.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

first, that 3-position toggle comes out of there & snaps open pretty easily -- careful don't let a spring get away from ya -- dirt & gunk can get in there and screw things up.

if that doesn't help, try www.crowleymarine.com

they carry the parts & should be able to talk you through the circuit board replacement.......

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is not the switch since the relay in the head clicks in all positions. This is a speed control issue so it could be the speed selector itself or the circuit board/electronics it feeds.

INHUNTER

Cadet

Do you know of a way I can verify which part is bad? Also, how much do the parts mentioned cost (ballpark figure). I couldn't find the Energy 52V model on the link from jtexas.

Thanks for the replies.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I'm not a MotorGuide guru and have no parts lists. If the speed control is a click-click-click type, then it can be checked with an ohm meter. If it is a continuously variable device (a potentiometer) then it too can be checked with an ohm meter. The electronics is another story however. Schematics are needed and those are rarely available to the public. Besides, with proprietary integrated circuits you have no idea what's inside them so troubleshooting becomes a factory process.

INHUNTER

Cadet

Thanks Silvertip. The variable speed dial doesn't click, its smooth. I'm guessing thats not the problem though, since the constant on doesn't work either. I'd guess the circuit board from what you all have stated.

Now if I can just find out where to get one for the model I have, how much they cost, and how to replace it myself :).

I'd like to fix it if I can, but if its going to cost about as much as a new one, I'll bite the bullet.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Go to the MotorGuide web site and look for "Service Facilities". Call or e-mail one in your vicinity and they may provide you with costs. But be aware -- like most places, marine or not, they will not take back electrical parts if what you buy does not work or was not the problem. In some cases it is usually best to just bite the bullet and break out the wallet and let someone else deal with the issue. It may not cost as much as you expect and it may not be the problem you think it is.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

yah, that's why I offered the slim hope of a dirty toggle.............

I have also bought trolling motor parts from www.mikesreelrepair.com and they have a more complete collection of schematics.

FWIW, the variable speed motors don't use potentiometers, that would generate way too much heat -- they use PWM (pulse width modulation) instead. Way more efficient - when the dial is turned below 100%, electricity is pulsed on and off rapidly.

Downside is, all the current has to be sourced through a power transistor, and judging by all the trouble I been hearing about, it's not easy to find an afordable semiconductor that can carry 50 amps reliably.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The speed control knob on a pulse width modulated speed control is indeed a potentiometer. In the case of MinnKota Power Drives it is a slider -- but it is still a potentiometer.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The speed control knob on a pulse width modulated speed control is indeed a potentiometer. In the case of MinnKota Power Drives it is a slider -- but it is still a potentiometer. Without a potentiometer, how would the PWM ciruicuit be varied?

INHUNTER

Cadet

I finally found a service shop to talk to, but they're over 2hrs away. I explained the situation & the guy said without hesitation that it was either the circuit board, or if i'm really lucky, i'm just not getting enough voltage to pass through the relay in the motorhead/ He told me in order to test, hook my battery charger up to the battery with the trolling motor hooked up. If it works on variable speed, the problem is I'm not getting enough voltage. (i.e. battery bad, corrosion on connection or wires.) If it still doesn't work, its circuit board.

He also stated they don't make the circuit board for the motor I have anymore. He said he could switch it over to digital, but it would cost almost as much as a new motor & recommended just buying a new one. I'm crossing my fingers, but I'm guessing circuit board. I did have some corrosion, but i thought i had sanded it enough, since it was working on high speed. He said they are funny some times about that though.

I'll test this weekend & let you know how it went.

Thanks again for the replies.

INHUNTER

Cadet

Update: I put the charger on my battery at a 10amp charge & tried the motor with variable speed. I got a quarter turn on the prop the 1st time I tried, but was unable to get it to do it again.

I think I'm going to have my battery load tested & replace the terminal connection on the wire. Still don't think its the battery, as I went fishing yesterday & trolled with high-speed all day & still had plenty of juice left in the battery. Connector needs replaced anyway though, so worth a shot before shelling out the big bucks on a new motor.