Ignition Timing Q..

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer
Greetings all, again:
I have a Mastercraft that has a Chevy 350 engine. I had stripped the engine to paint it, but I didn't pull the distributor out of the intake. I've tried to line up the timing mark on the damper, but can't seem to determine TDC on the firing stroke. 'MikDee, and others have shed some on my timing problems and have helped me understand it more. They said that the rotor should be in the "7 o'clock" position to be at the #1 firing, if you were looking down on the distr., standing at the rear of the engine, and imagining it was a clock. (sorry, I need visuals)

I've tried to spin the engine 180 (in hopes it was out ) and re-wire the firing order and I got nothing! Dead sound. I just re-cranked the engine and watched the pulse of the timing light flash about 4-5 times, and as it was about to fire, I stopped the cranking, to check first, that the "7 o'clock position", that the damper was on the timing mark, and that the plug wires were correct on the plugs. They were...

If this was a bull fight... I'd be horned already!

Please advise,

~a "very" Frustratedboater~

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ignition Timing Q..

Basically, it doesn't matter where #1 is located. Mercruiser has some engines at 4 oclock, Volvo around 10, What you need to do is find out where your's is and go from there. Find #1 TDC on the compression stroke, then look at where the rotor is pointing. That is where you put #1 plug wire.