Yamaha 90 Oil leaking (from sensor cap?)

jburn25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2004 Yamaha 90TLRC motor thats leaking oil from the actual oil reservoir. There is a filler cap at the top of the reservoir, and then there's some sort of other cap or plug a little bit lower and off to the side of the reservoir. This second cap has electrical wires running to it (i guess to monitor oil levels?). The oil just seeps out from around that sensory cap, but it doesn't appear that you can screw this thing on or anything so i guess its just lost its seal?

First of all, what is that second cap for? and secondly, what can I do to get it to stop leaking? Can I just take it off and put silicone sealant around it?

Thanks for the help, its probably a stupid question....

jburn25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 90 Oil leaking (from cap?)

Re: Yamaha 90 Oil leaking (from cap?)

Ok, per the parts manual, I can definitely verify that the area leaking is the area which has the oil pressure or level sensor in it. It seems to be leaking from around that cap. When I leave it overnight in the garage it leaks out and fills the bowl of the motor and drains out the drain holes all over the shaft etc on to the floor.

Can I just replace this cap? what kind of seal does it have? I suspsect that if I pull it off, all the oil will come pouring out of there....

jburn25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Yamaha 90 Oil leaking (from sensor cap?)

I put a zip tie around the cap and cinched it really tight, but it still leaks. I'm sure there is something I need to replace? I'm worried about air leaking in also.

I know its not a big issue, but any help would be appreciated.

CariBOBean

Recruit
Yamaha 89 Oil Sensor Cap

Yamaha 89 Oil Sensor Cap

New to site, can't see how to post a new question.
So using this thread.

I've pulled the oil sensor cap of the main oil reserve tank and now can't
get it to go back. It doesn't screw on or snap on. Not sure what to do?