best way to remove old rivets?

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
the is an old (pre hin) rowboat how can i remove the transom rivets
i have old rivets that used to hold the motor transom wood in well the wood is rotted and i ripped it out but i have the nasty rivets and i would like to know how i could remove them. I can't get clear access with a hacksaw i tried earlier
tips?

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: best way to remove old rivets?

Everyone I know using drill to remove them. Should't be hard since the soft aluminum is easy to work with. Try one and let us know how you did.

Phantom_II

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know how tight your rivets are in their holes, but in the aircraft industry, we drill the heads off the rivets and then knock out the shank with a punch.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know how tight your rivets are in their holes, but in the aircraft industry, we drill the heads off the rivets and then knock out the shank with a punch.

What Phantom said...

JorgeE

Seaman

If your rivets are very loose, they may be very difficult to drill out, and you can use End Cutters on them. these are wire cutters that have the cutting edges all the way at the tip, the URL below is of one:

http://doitbest.com/Wire+cutters-Channellock-model-357-doitbest-sku-301671.dib

you'd have to cut the heads off, then with another set of pliers squeeze the remaining shank to make it round so you can pull them out.
There may be a better way for loose rivets, but thsi one works.

Jorge

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a small peanut grinder and took my time so all I was grinding on was the rivet. When I got the head off, I punched the shank out of the metal with a small punch.

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is easy to tighten loose aluminum rivets in a small boats transom. One man can do it usually since there is no far reaching problem issues. Tighten them up with a hammer and piece steal for backing (maybe a second hammer head), then drill it out with a 3/16 bit first, followed with 1/4" if necessary.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 9mm pistol with copper jacket bullets!. ..... Actually it sounds like you could use a die grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the rivets then pull out the pieces since you were considering a hack saw. Die grinders come in both straight and right angle which allow access to a lot of spaces.

Jeep Man

Commander

A 9mm pistol with copper jacket bullets!. ..... Actually it sounds like you could use a die grinder with a cut off wheel to cut the rivets then pull out the pieces since you were considering a hack saw. Die grinders come in both straight and right angle which allow access to a lot of spaces.

You must be from Texas. No where else would anyone shoot out a rivet with a copper jacket 9mm. Don't you know copper will react with aluminium and cause corrosion.

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Drill and punch as others have said. If they want to spin, hold the shank with a pair of vise-grips, sounds like you can get to them.

bankfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You must be from Texas. No where else would anyone shoot out a rivet with a copper jacket 9mm. Don't you know copper will react with aluminium and cause corrosion.

just get a stainless wire brush and clean the holes....taaadaaaa!!!!!!!!!!no corrosion:D

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Spin them with your drill until it burns up