VP water pump- is this supposed to be flat?

Edge180

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Trying to troubleshoot a dripping leak at my water pump of my VP 4.3 GL-A. I pulled the pulley/pump off and noticed the surface on which the impeller spins does not appear to be flat. Is this normal? Is this the harmonic balancer?
RWpump.jpg

kk lowrider

Cadet
Re: VP water pump- is this supposed to be flat?

Hi Edge , Didnt you just replace the seal and fixed you leak ? If it started leaking again your waterpump bearings are most likely shot and you will need to replace the whole water pump. Oh and yes that surface is supposed to be flat, and no your harmonic balancer is what the pump bolts up to, Keep us posted and good luck.

Edge180

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: VP water pump- is this supposed to be flat?

Lowrider! My sole responder! Yes, I thought I fixed it too as not a drop fell after new sealing ring was installed. Unfortunately when I started her up again about a week later on the muffs to change the oil out a slow drip occured again. I then removed the impeller housing, re-lubed the seals; no leak. Started up again in a week or so; a few drips.

Yeah, I figure I need a new pump assembly, but I've orderd the sealing washer (see figure with my notes on it) in hopes that THIS $1 peice fixes my leak before plunking down the $300+ for the pump.

Wish me luck, I'm taking her out this weeked drip or no drip!