Gimbal bearing installation backwards

pikiewicz

Seaman
Hi all, I just read somewhere that installing the gimbal bearing on an alpha 1 backwards makes the job easier in the future. Any suggestions for or against. The one I just pulled out had the tabs towards the bow. Can I put them towards the stern for easier future removal?

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Gimbal bearing installation backwards

Putting the cut-outs towards the stern allows for the center section of the bearing to be replaced without replacing the carrier. Most guys on here, myself included, would not recommend this approach. If the middle bearing needs replacing, might as well replace the carrier too.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

What he said. ^^^

Actually, if memory serves me correctly, Mercruiser used to install them with the slots facing aft, but turned it around to keep people from changing just the bearing. I know some do, but I agree that it is better to replace the whole thing as a unit.

pikiewicz

Seaman

Thanks for the replies. As for the direction then, I guess it doesn't matter. It may be easier to get that thing out though if you could pull the bearing and then the carriers. Any thoughts?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It may be easier to get that thing out though if you could pull the bearing and then the carriers. Any thoughts?

No. Use a big slide hammer. You can "rent" one for free from Autozone. There are alternatives if that doesn't work, but try that first.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The gimbal bearing and carrier are pulled as a unit. The aft slots were mentioned in the manual but i think they changed it because if you dont line up the hole in the bearing itself with the grease groove, the bearing can`t be greased.If you order a gimbal from merc you`ll find it`s a sealed bearing now and has no provision for being greased. So I`d go with the aft slots if your going to change them frequently from not being able to grease it.

ziggy

Admiral

If you order a gimbal from merc you`ll find it`s a sealed bearing now and has no provision for being greased.
that's a bummer....
So I`d go with the aft slots if your going to change them frequently from not being able to grease it
that seems to be in conflict with the fact that the gimble brg and carrier are a mated pair from the oem. the ramifications for R&Ring the brg. only are noted in the mercruiser service bulletin..

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Although I do believe that it is better to replace the unit as a whole, I do not believe the statement in the service bulletin that Ziggy posted, (thanks by the way :) ), where it says the number one reason not to simply replace the bearing is because...
The bearing is selectively fitted to the cartridge during manufacturing and must remain together as a matched set.

I genuienly do not believe they custom fit each bearing and cartridge together when they make them. (I can see some line assembly worker with a set of calipers making sure this bearing is the right fit for that cartridge. :rolleyes: )

Reason number two is probably the real reason:

Secondly, bearing may be damaged from lack of lubrication, if bearing is installed backwards.

Ah! That I can understand! Customers - or mechanics - replacing the bearing and not understanding that the grease hole needs to be on the same side as the slot in the cartridge - no grease gets to the bearing... the rest is history.

Just remember when you do replace the bearing assembly that there are still some things that need to line up. The tolerance ring opening needs to be in line with the grease hole.