70 hp jhonson died and wont start

teamtonka

Recruit
I was running my boat at trolling speed and it died on me.It was as if it was just turned of it was running good before that.Then when i tried to restart it it acted as if the battery was dead.The starter tries to start the motor on the first turn of the key but the motor doesnt start then on the next turn of the key its like the battery doesnt have enough juice to engage the starter.I got a brand new battery and its still the same thing. I have cleaned and checked all the connections.I have 2 Qs. (1) What else can i check or is my starter probally shot.(2) is the any thing that could cause my motor to stall and cause the starter to act this way or do I have 2 seperate problums that just happend at the same time.Any help would be great thanks

noelm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 70 hp jhonson died and wont start

first off you need to see if the motor will turn over by hand, grip the flywheel and try to turn it, it will be hard, but it should turn over OK, if not it has seized, next remove the plugs and see what the look like, are they all the same? do those couple of things and get back to us.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 70 hp jhonson died and wont start

remove spark plugs and turn flywheel. year, model # of motor. sounds like you have 2 problems.