VHF radio question (testing it)

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class
With this boat I purchased came a VHF radio and antenna. In the front are 4 buttons which were loose I fixed the plate. I hook power to it and get static. Do I need to be near water to get the range closer? I'm familiar with CB radios but never owned a VHF.:confused:

Tiki35

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: VHF radio question (testing it)

Is the antenna cable screwed into the back of the radio?

What make/model of radio is it? If it doesn't have a red distress button on the front, you are going to want to upgrade it to a newer one.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

First.

You need a
[FONT=Book Antiqua, Times New Roman, Times]Restricted Radiotelephone Operator's Certificate (maritime) in order to use a VHF radio in Canada. You need to go through a Canadian Power Squadron for the course etc. It's $60, and three nights. Pretty easy as I passed mine last week with one mistake.

Technically, you should not be using the radio unless you are on the water (you can be fined for this) so it is hard to test it out. I guess you can turn it on and listen to the weather channel.

The newer units are much more useful as they can talk to a gps etc. and transmit your location in distress.

But without the Certificate, you shouldn't use it.
[/FONT]

mphy98

Lieutenant

would a us resident need that as well? coming up in a couple of weeks and would like to know?

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

would a us resident need that as well? coming up in a couple of weeks and would like to know?

Not sure.

It seems the US has more stringent standards than Canada for VHF (and they are obeyed about the same in both countries) in that I can go with just a certificate and don't need a station license or call sign. So if you have vhf license and a call sign, you will be fine.

Just got my MMSI in the email today.

Side note (and this is not meant to be political). The course book is the 2007 edition. In it they talk about Canada and the US setting up a reciprocal agreement so I would not need a license in the US. The book also says the process was back-burnered after 9-11. It still has not been done so I can't (legally) use my radio in the US.

mars bar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where do I take this Power Squadron course I love education.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just google canadian power squadron, easy course and very informative:D

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Where do I take this Power Squadron course I love education.

Canadian Power Squadron offers a lot of courses, including a boating course recognized for the safe boaters card.

The one I'm talking about is the Maritime radio course. Basically, they hold the course on behalf of Industry Canada and is the only way to get the certificate.

Like Dan said, just google Canadian Power Squadron. They have chapters most places there is water.

tallcanadian

Captain

i have a vhf radio that i use to listen to our local rcmp and ambulance, etc. there is a squelch setting, at least on mine, under where the mic fastens into. there are two long screws that have to be removed. then unplug the mic. there are two settings. one for blocking and unblocking channels and the other for squelch. hope this helps. i also receive our local search and rescue, coast guard and fire department. i use it only as a scanner.