the thick one ,the slim one or not at all oil seal at the top of the shaft?(mercruis)

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer
Mcm 228,pre-alpha outdrive
i am about to put the lower unit on and whereas i've been always afraid about puting on the sterndrive because of the big o-ring ,now i'm afraid about the small o-ring and that's because :a boat mechanic told me that mercruiser changed the o-ring at the top of the vertical shaft and replaced it with a slim one (same external diameter,smaller internal).Some days ago i put the lower unit on and when i disasembled it for some other reason i found down on the shaft the spring of the lower seal together with the o-ring something that never hapened with the standard o-ring.Some others here say to put not at all the o-ring depending on how good is your lower seal.I think i forget this last occasion because my shaft is rebuilt (and not perfect)at the height of the lower seal,so what do you suggest me to do?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: the thick one ,the slim one or not at all oil seal at the top of the shaft?(mercr

Some others here say to put not at all the o-ring
i assume were talking about the oring at the top of the lower drive shaft. the one just below the splines in the lower drive shaft. if so. i'm convinced to not put one on at all. if you had a mr or alpha1, that oring slot wouldn't even be there to put an oring onto... that lower seal in the upper. the one you can see and feel. can be replaced from the outside. with the halves separated of course..

i left my oring off the last time i separated my drive. so far, no ramifications that i'm aware of..... though i've not separated the halves and gone and looked at it..

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: the thick one ,the slim one or not at all oil seal at the top of the shaft?(mercr

I'll second Ziggy, no o ring needed.

sarantis

Chief Petty Officer

i like this theory,i 'm gonna follow it.Thank you guys.

petergordon

Cadet

that lower seal in the upper. the one you can see and feel. can be replaced from the outside. with the halves separated of course..

i left my oring off the last time i separated my drive. so far, no ramifications that i'm aware of..... though i've not separated the halves and gone and looked at it..

Ziggy,

Any suggestions on how to re-install the lower oil seal from the underside? Do I just stuff the new one back in with the lips facing up?

Peter