How do I secure my interior side panels?

jberenyi

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone. I'm new to the group. I'm restoring a 20 foot Arrow Glass right now. In taking out the front bow backrests I noticed there was no way to remove the screws from behind so I had to rip the boards off. I am replacing all the wood and going for the complete upholster. Can someone tell me how to secure the backrests on a boat that has absolutely no room to screw from behind due to lack of space for even your hands? The factory must have installed these backrests before installing the top portion of the boat...its all I can figure. What ever you guys think works good, I will use on the side panels as well. Thanks!

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: How do I secure my interior side panels?

Do you have any pics?

I was able to get in some tight quarters with a ratcheting type screwdriver, it's like a 1/4" drive type of tool, that you can use multiple driver heads with.

Very small and compact...

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

there are also many fasteners that expand as do not need a nut on the rear. Check out www.fastenal.com or google it.

Aviator5

Chief Petty Officer

On my boat they used those so called Christmass Tree Panel Fasteners. Similar to those used to hold car door panels.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

velcro

oops!

Supreme Mariner

velcro is allways an option when in difficult situations the more you use the stronger the hold.

if you are really having trouble.....try the link that was given above by chris hayes.

if you are worried about how to screw it after the uph is on.......thats why they have buttons!

jberenyi

Seaman Apprentice

velcro is allways an option when in difficult situations the more you use the stronger the hold.

if you are really having trouble.....try the link that was given above by chris hayes.

if you are worried about how to screw it after the uph is on.......thats why they have buttons!

I thought those buttons looked alright but do they last? And what about T-nuts on more accessible panel locations and then bolt the panels on. I'm really surprised that this topic has not generated more responses.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

for the side panels where you have access to tighten nuts, install counter sunk bolts that would 'lock' into the wood from the panels upholster over them, drill holes for the bolts to slide threw, and tighten down normally with the nut and ratchet.

for the ones you don't have access to, finish your upholstery screw through the upholstery then glue on accent pieces to cover the mounting hardware, (same way a sub box is designed)

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello m8..

There are Bolster clips available that secure padded wood cushions by hooking the pad.

It kinda looks like the clip that holds your vhf mic. You would fasten the clip to the fiberglass behind your cushion/bolster .. dry fit your part into its location and press hard to see where the top of the clip hits your plywood. measure from the top of the clip ( open end is up ) to the bottom where the clip curves . Oh lets say its approx 1.5" .. go back to your ply and measure 1.5 " UP from the mark you made.. THAT will be the TOP end of your hole not your drill point if using a hole saw..

Hopefully not too confusing ..

Contact your local boat dealer they should know or they can call there manufacture for some..

YD.

Last edited:

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Mine also use the automotive interior "Chistmas Tree" type. THey 1/4 turn into holes in the panel and push into holes in the boat. Still holding after 12 years...