Wrong bellhousing?

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Picked up a used bellhousing for my Volvo AQ130D w/ 280 outdrive since the old one had been destroyed by the u-joint knuckles. After replacing the bearings and seals, noticed that there were different snap ring grooves in the housing itself and that the shaft seals were not up against the bearings. Here's the picture to show you what I mean:

P1010133.jpg

The bearing is on a set position on the shaft. The shaft can be placed all the way in so that the bearing race sets on the shoulder just above the inner seal and then held in place by the outer snap ring OR a snap ring can be placed in the lower groove and the bearing placed on that ring with the outer seal and then snap ring placed outside of that. In either position, one of the seals would be about 3/4" away from the bearing.

With the shaft in the outer position, the inner end of the shaft extends below the bellhousing about 1/8". This just barely allows the shaft to set inside the crankshaft bearing about 1/8" so this position doesn't make sense.

If the shaft is placed all the way in, the outer snap ring just keeps the seal from coming out but also allows a 3/4" gap between the seal and bearing. Also, in this position, the engine side of the shaft seems to be allright and the splines don't quite make it all the way through the U-joint yoke.

I'm now at the point of not being sure that this is the correct bellhousing. This bellhousing bolts up fine to my pushrod motor but the positioning of the grooves is suspicious to me. The only external differences in the bellhousings were that there was a slight shelf for the grease cup to sit on with the replacement. The bearing and shaft areas can't be inspected on the old bellhousing because that portion was destroyed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Wrong bellhousing?

Here's another shot with the shaft and bearing in place. The shaft is all the way in so that the bearing is setting on the lip just above the inner seal.
P1010135.jpg

You can see 2 grooves for a snap ring. A snap ring in the inner grove will hold the bearing and shaft in place. The outer seal is only about 3/16" thick so would either sit righ on the bearing and the outer snap ring would be 1/2" above it or the seal would be 1/2" above the bearing. Either way, it doesn't sound right.

The inner seal is seated in the socket just forward of the lip so I think that is positioned correctly.
P1010132.jpg

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Main shaft bearing placement in AQ130 bellhousing.

Main shaft bearing placement in AQ130 bellhousing.

Finally called the dealer since I bought the bellhousing from them. For anyone else working on the older pushrod 4 cylinder motors, I was able to get some answers. The bearing does go all the way down and sits on the lip just above the lower seal. The first snap ring is then put into place to secure the bearing - the same as I have in the photo. The second snap ring comes next. It looks very odd because there is allmost a 3/4" gap. The outer seal is then fitted into place on top of the snap ring. It's held in place by it's own spring.

The diagram isn't clear on this and it only shows 1 of the large snap rings. I don't have the Volvo manual but the Seloc doesn't mention this at all.

So - if anyone else runs across this issue, at least it's answered here.