Couple of questions on my 9.5 seahorse

spunkyjr

Seaman
This is a 9.5 Johnson seahorse. It has been sitting for a while so I want to fix it up. I tried the motor and it starts right up and did run but at only half speed. Runs very sporadic at slow speed, coughs and sputters, vibrates. I cleaned the carb and the motor still would not go above 4.7 miles per hour or idle around 2 mph. I adjusted the carb as described in the secret files, 1 1/2 turn out. This motor is on a 14 semi-v run about. New plugs, gas line, fuel pump No extra weight but me the gas tank and motor. Water discharge from pee hole is fine.

Yesterday I had the motor out on the lake and the wind came up and started to blow enough for me to head for the dock. The boat got side ways and I had to turn the motor real sharp, the motor hit the transom. As I was giving the motor the throttle it hesitated a couple of times, I gave the motor full throttle and it was like it was a new motor. It ran at full wide open throttle. Maybe a stuck jet or float or maybe a bad wire somewhere?

I need to replace the seal in the lower unit and figured that since I will be doing that might as well change points, plug wires and so on.

Where can I find the serial # on the motor? There are 2 little round disks on the top of the motor above the spark plugs with these numbers:
30958 and J37-64-397. There some numbers printed on the carb but they are not readable.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Couple of questions on my 9.5 seahorse

To clean the carb you must remove, dissasemble, and rebuild.
Its very simple but you do need the rebuild kit with new gaskets, probably less than $20 right here on iBoats.

I can't find any reference for your model number, are you sure its correct, I usually just punch it into google and it comes back correctly.
The one with the J is the model number, thats the one which will have the information you need to order parts.

I would agree to change the ignition parts out, just did that on my 1959 10hp.
Coils, points wires,plugs etc.

But it sounds like the carb to me.
Also make sure fuel is fresh, tank is clean, fuel line is good (new is better).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZI-e2Rl0XM&feature=related