1981 mercruiser 260 diagnosing knock and home repairs

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer
OK I took my boat to a rip off artist and posted while it was going on. Anyway to make a long story short I finally was able to take my boat out and had inadvertently put about 6 grand rpm on the engine. Only for a couple seconds but I know that couple seconds could fry a engine. Anyway I backed it off and at idle there was now hear able noise at about 1800 rpm I heard a loud tick tick tick, I wasn't a rap rap but kind of like in between. We got back to shore about 1500 rpm it wasn't to bad, anything over that it got worse. I took it to a reputable mechanic to let him see what needed done to straighted out the mess the joker did and he gave me a list of what needed to be done and I told him to run the engine cause I needed to know were the noise was coming from first. He did so and called me back and said that it was coming from around the distributor. So I went and got the boat back. I got it home and took a hose to listen for myself and couldn't really hear anything in the engine, I jumped out and stuck the hose in the exhaust and before the hose filled with water I heard the knock load and clear. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do next to locate the problem. The other things that need to be done is a new Bell hsg, u jnt bellow, water hose, shift lever. Can a guy do this himself with the right tools and some patience? Thanks in advance, Chris
oh, and when you first start it it cranks like normal, and you don't here the noise so bad but when it warms up the noise is like stated above and you turn it off and it cranks like the timing is off a couple revolutions then cranks good.

chris0061

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1981 mercruiser 260 diagnosing knock and home repairs

no ideas???????????

i.boat1

Banned
Re: 1981 mercruiser 260 diagnosing knock and home repairs

You do know you got to turn it over and open it up.Kinda hard to hear a noise,on a motor so far away, i can't hear my wife screeming at me on the same couch anymore.