building aluminum boats

Malform

Recruit
im very interested in building aluminum boats possibly as a living. im curious if anyone knows of a good site or book that could explain the tools, materials and plans for crafting aluminum boats. im thinking small scale maybe just rivited boats instead of weilding until i can learn how to weild aluminum or at least learn somthing about making boats before i move up to that. any information would be helpful considering i havent been able to find anything useful on line so far. thanks, Mal

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: building aluminum boats

Before buying our new boat last year, I visited three boat factories in my home state of Minnesota; Lund, Crestliner and Alumacraft. All three weld the two halves of the hull together. Crestliner uses welds just about everywhere else, while the other two use a combination of welds and rivets.

With the cost of aluminum, the equipment needed to cut and fasten the material, and the labor needed, it didn't take long to understand why good aluminum boats are so expensive.

erikgreen

Captain

I'd recommend you think twice about this before doing it. One of the aluminum boat manufacturers here in MN closed recently, the economy is hitting the boat builders hard.

Also, I'm curious about why you want to build Al boats when you don't seem to have experience with the tools or techniques or the boat designs?

Despite how simple your average small aluminum boat looks, it's not easy to make. Assuming you are going to go with the cheapest (and most labor intensive) route to build, you will need to get:
  • Plasma cutter - $600
  • Air compressor - $500
  • 5' - 7' wide slip roll - $2500
  • Crease/joint roller - $1000
  • 5' - 7' wide brake (bending machine) - $2500
  • misc hand tools - shears, grinders, scribes, drills, rivet guns - $3000
All the above assumes you're buying either very cheap or used tools.

You'll need to engage the services of a local sheet metal fabrication shop to produce parts you can't do yourself, like ribs formed from sheet metal or stringers out of heavier gauge material.

You will also need to buy aluminum in industrial quantities (it's too expensive to buy it any other way and still profit) and have a place to store it and cut off pieces as needed from a big roll or pile of sheets.

Most of the pro shops do cutting using a CNC plasma cutter or similar, which lets them cut out the flat parts from patterns as needed. Then they roll form or bend the parts on a mandrel or using a brake, rivet together, add stiffening ribs and seats, add floatation, and "dress" the final hull with things like cleats and lights, carpet, paint, etc.

Aside from the technical and build issues, you'll need a design for a boat which you'll probably purchase or license from a marine architect. A lot of architects will license their designs for sale as pre-built boats, so you would just need to find one you like. Unless you have a certificate as a marine architect, you can't draw up those plans yourself (read below for why). You can have a custom design made, but that's more money obviously.

You need to fill out paperwork and license forms with the state and national governments (at least in the US) to obtain a manufacturer's code and register yourself as a recreational (I presume) boat manufacturer. As part of this you will be required to furnish, at your own expense, a copy of each model of boat you produce for destructive testing of floatation.

This is where the marine architect comes in handy. If the government tests your boat and finds out that when filled with water it doesn't float the way they like, you get to re-design and re-build, or you're not allowed to sell that model of boat. So if you make a mistake in your design you get to recycle the first boat (if it's even worth it to ship it back from the government) and build another for them to destroy.

Last and certainly not least, you need good insurance. In the US, if one of your boats sinks or fails and someone dies, their estate or next of kin can sue you for a huge amount of money. You would be broke forever, essentially. No more business, no more boats, no fun. Even if you put a "use at your own risk" clause in the sales agreement, and even if you're sure it's not your fault. Just defending against that lawsuit could bankrupt you.

All the above said, if you really want to open a shop building custom or small quantity aluminum boats it IS possible, and I firmly believe everyone should follow their dreams as much as the world permits. There are ways to get started in this business that let you bootstrap up from nothing in your garage.

But it's much more straightforward to do what the legal structures in the US expect and get a loan to start a boat building business, then produce and sell enough boats to make it pay.

Good luck.

Erik

erikgreen

Captain

Heh, I just realized I didn't really answer your question with all that blathering above.

This forum is pretty good for information on boat restoration and rebuilds.

Also check out www.e-boat.net for a marine architect that sells plans, and they have a good forum that talks about building the boats.

www.boatdesign.net is a forum for commercial boat builders, marine architects, and amateurs alike, it's a great design resource.

But the absolute best way to learn what's needed is to build a boat yourself. A lot of designers offer free plans for small boats - download one and try a build :)

Erik

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Despite how simple your average small aluminum boat looks, it's not easy to make. Assuming you are going to go with the cheapest (and most labor intensive) route to build, you will need to get:
  • Plasma cutter - $600
  • Air compressor - $500
  • 5' - 7' wide slip roll - $2500
  • Crease/joint roller - $1000
  • 5' - 7' wide brake (bending machine) - $2500
  • misc hand tools - shears, grinders, scribes, drills, rivet guns - $3000
All the above assumes you're buying either very cheap or used tools.

If you're located in the midwest, and don't mind frequenting auctions - you could probably pick a number of those tools up MUCH cheaper.

Between auto plants and suppliers shutting down/going bankrupt there are is a lot of shop equipment available at amazingly low prices.

Heck, just last year I could have picked up a 24" throat bandsaw with the built in induction welder for welding blades for $100. In perfectly working condition. My dad bought a 300A Miller multifunction (tig/mig/stick) welder for $150 - and considering the weight of the thing it's probably got over $150 worth of copper wire in it.

--
aborgman

erikgreen

Captain

Heh, where are you going to auctions? I've been watching a long time and not found anything close to that around here. A Miller 300A welder would probably go for minimum $600 or so near me...

Erik

aborgman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heh, where are you going to auctions? I've been watching a long time and not found anything close to that around here. A Miller 300A welder would probably go for minimum $600 or so near me...

Erik

That one wasn't even an auction find - my dad happened to know the shop owner who was just going to scrap the welder. He wanted my old man to take it for free, but my dad insisted on paying him $100.

The welder was so heavy we had to use a HiLo to get it in the back of his pickup, and an engine hoist to get it out and set it in the garage. The thing has to weigh a good 400lbs.

...but there are lots of cheap machine tools out there - you can find lots of industrial auctions on the web and in the newspapers if you live in any areas of high auto supplier concentration.

Malform

Recruit

Wow! so much great detailed information and so fast. i honestly didnt expect half as much info in 10 times the time span.
So to answer your question Erick "why build boats" I am a sculptor and love to work with my hands, craftsmanship, and working with metal plus i have always loved boating and fishing..o yeah and working for yourself at your on pace is where its at. It seems like it would be a ton of fun.
Thank you so much for filling me in on the grusome details it helps to know what your getting yourself into. in the back of my mind i knew there were some tricky issues that would surface sooner or later with this plan.
At first glance boat Al boat building does seem to be fairly simple but after looking over all the liability issues and licenses and things of this order it seems like it could be a bit of a head ache which as you said would deffinatly take the fun out of it, im a strong believer in doing what your love for a living. If you dont want to do it its work, if you do its fun.
Thanks to everyone who has takin the time to fill me in, very much appreciated, Mal

hwkypuck

Cadet

Whether you chose to rivet or weld. You need to set up a jig to hold the pieces together. Plus make a scaled model of the project first. I welded my scratch built 13 footer, but I also have all the tools / welding mach. good luck!!!!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I have been in a pontoon weld shop for 22 years and I would say your best bet to learn how to build boats would be to get in at a factory that does that then you learn on there dime, the trick is finding a company that is still in buisness and hiring.

2 years ago we were building 28 boats a day, now we are doing 10, 3 days a week.

You also need to think if there is a market for custom built aluminum boats, the fewer you build the more expensive each has to be.

Unless you have VERY deep pockets just trying to do it sounds expensive, a single sheet of aluminum 98x126 is $122 and that is flat on a skid, you will need to cut and form it, as stated above it is really expensive.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Quote: One of the aluminum boat manufacturers here in MN closed recently, the economy is hitting the boat builders hard.

Response from Navy Jr. to above: Which one?

For those who may have been curious as I was about which aluminum boat manufacturer in MN closed recently, I PM'ed the poster and he responded that he had heard Alumacraft in St. Peter had shut down. That was disturbing news, so I e-mailed Alumacraft. Here is the reply:

Hi Ken:

Please do get back in the forum and let them know that we are going strong! We are still in St. Peter and producing boats everyday. I'm glad to hear that you had a chance to come and tour our plant. It is truly a neat thing to watch the production of the boats. Once again, thank you for letting us know about that bad rumor. We are here to stay for the long haul and are doing just fine.

Thanks again,

Bryan

Bryan King
Motor/Marketing Coordinator
Direct 507-931-5298
Fax 507-931-9056

bryan@alumacraft.com

Note: I can understand how rumors like this get started and spread. The poster obviously heard it somewhere, and in this economic environment it is easy to believe.

By the way, I did indeed tour the Alumacraft factory in the fall of 2007. As a matter of fact, Bryan was my guide, but I'm sure he doesn't remember me after a year and a half of other tours he has given.

Great folks there. We ended up buying a Lund (I also toured their factory, as well) because my wife liked the color selection better, but truth me known I came THIS CLOSE to pulling the trigger with Alumacraft. They really do make an outstanding boat, and you can power it any way you want. -Ken