Just replaced water pump, is this normal??

cable

Recruit
I just finished replacing the water pump on my 1997 Evinrude 200. I thought I read just about everything there was to read regarding this procedure, both online and in the shop manual. I even measured the water tube to make sure it would mate sufficiently with the pump housing and had a helper to guide everything when we put the lower unit back on. Anyway, long story short... tested it on the muffs and water is literally pouring out from the lower unit seam. Not just a few drops -this is a real gusher! Is this considered normal or did I mess up somehow? Thanks in advance!

Re: Just replaced water pump, is this normal??

I have twin 97 Ocean runners and I get water from this junction as well, I wouldn't call it a gusher but it is considerable. How impressive is the flow from the water pump indicator? A nice hard stream indicates good flow. That I think is the most important guideline. Hope it helps

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Most important guideline in my opinion is to check the head temperatures. That will tell you if enough is getting up there.

cable

Recruit

The stream from the telltale was okay, nothing to write home about. Shooting maybe 2-3' feet. If I would have left it running longer, might the thermostats have opened and produced a better result? As for the head temperature, I really didn't leave it running long enough to check. Was afraid to damage anything when I saw all that water coming out.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You most likely won't do any damage if you keep a hand on the heads while running. If it gets too hot then switch it off. If they stay O.K. then keep it running for a while. How was it before the water pump change out ???
Sounds like the water tube is not sealing into the pump.

aesgator

Seaman

Mine does the same thing on muffs. When its in the water its not as bad. When its on the muffs water is being forced up versus the water pump having to pull it up in the water so much more water goes through than the head needs when its on the muffs, and the excess goes out between the lower unit and the motor. Hope that helps.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Mine does the same thing on muffs. When its in the water its not as bad. When its on the muffs water is being forced up versus the water pump having to pull it up in the water so much more water goes through than the head needs when its on the muffs, and the excess goes out between the lower unit and the motor. Hope that helps.

This is caused from turning the water on to to high a flow rate. Most manuals state to only open the supply enough to create a steady (not high pressure) Flow.
Muffs should really only be used for flushing, not testing.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

at the factory the put a sealer in there, when you drop the lower the seal is broken, that is why it starts to leak there. no big deal, as long as you are sure the water tube lined up.

cable

Recruit

as long as you are sure the water tube lined up.
All I know is that I put some grease on the water tube seal that sits inside the pump housing, grease on the grommet that sits atop the plastic riser, and some grease on the tip of the water tube itself. I had a helper guide the tube into the grommet and the lower unit easily slid up all of the way on the first try and I held it there while my helper put a couple of bolts in snugly. So going by that, is there any way the copper tube is not lined up? Like can it get distorted inside the plastic riser or something and not go into the pump housing seal snugly?

It sounds like I need to go back to the storage area and run again on the muffs, for longer period this time. Will the stream from the telltale get stronger once the t-stats open? The motor is new to me so I really don't know how it behaved before except that it was sitting a while. The one time I ran it on the muffs with the old water pump, I do not remember so much water coming out of the junction where the lower unit bolts on...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

FWIW I have the same motor. I've never run it on muffs. Only use the flush port but I get a pretty decent amount of leakage at the seam as well.

In the water I have a good strong flow of water out the visual indicator. Guessing 4-5 feet if the nozzle is turned to the side for max. distance. Water pressure right around 5 psi at idle and pushing 30 psi otherwise.

The opening and closing of the thermostat does not make a difference in the water stream at all. You can see them open and close on the pressure gauge, maybe 3-4 psi at best, but there is really no indication at all visually.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Is this a through prop exhaust?

If the flanges on the lower and the mid section are clean and in good shape I would think water loss would be at a minimum between the seams. however you could be flooding the area on the muffs.

Definately run it long enough to fully warm up and make sure it is not to hot to touch.

Pressure should actually decrease a little when T-stat opens. you probably won't notice the difference though.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you put the water pump on, you more then likely rolled the gasket that is at the bottom of the pump housing. I did it before and had the same thing happen. If you want it to stop, take the lower unit back off and fix the gasket. It probably won't effect anything but better to be safe then sorry.

I used a few drops of superglue to hold the gasket in place when I put it on. It works fine and no leaks.

aesgator

Seaman

This is caused from turning the water on to to high a flow rate. Most manuals state to only open the supply enough to create a steady (not high pressure) Flow.
Muffs should really only be used for flushing, not testing.

who said i was testing? my water pump is fine. just relaying information about my particular situation.