Trailer blinkers

TJLMERC330

Cadet
I have a brand new Venture trailer that I bought for my RIB. When I picked it up all the lights/blinkers worked fine as they did when I picked up the RIB 1 week later. I pulled it out of the garage today to take to the river (for the 1st time) and all the lights work fine BUT BOTH blinkers blink wether you blink left or right ???? Trailer dealer had me check the ground ... which was good ...LITTLE HELP ???

Thanx Tom

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer blinkers

Are there grounds on the individual lights as well? Somewhere they are shorting each other. I always say that the cool thing about boats is they break sitting on the trailer. Trailers also break simply sitting under the boat. They go together very well . . . :rolleyes:

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are there grounds on the individual lights as well? Somewhere they are shorting each other. I always say that the cool thing about boats is they break sitting on the trailer. Trailers also break simply sitting under the boat. They go together very well . . . :rolleyes:

Yeah very true, now i know what boat means

Break Out Another Thousand

TJLMERC330

Cadet

There are no ground wires at the lights, they ground to the trailer frame. The only ground wire is the White wire between the plug/harness and the trailer tounge. There is a pair of wires (brown & yellow) that go to the left light and another pair (brown & green) that go to the right light ..... ???

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its wired right, is there a ground wire coming from the lights? If not the lights ground through the mounting bolts so may want to check and be sure the nuts and bolts and the trailer frame are rust free. If they are check to make sure its clean inside the tail lights, sockets etc... Also make sure the ground is good on the vehicle end and well as the trailer end, these were never intended to ground from the hitch ball. Also make sure that the ground wire attaches to the frame not the tongue sometimes u get a bit of rust or paint and it dont ground well. If this is a tilt trailer you make want t make sure where it pivots is getting good ground some guys run a wire at the pivot point to help.

TJLMERC330

Cadet

I just checked the voltages at the connector on the truck, the ground was good and the running lights (brown) was good .. when I turn on either blinker, I get voltage (on/of/on/off) on both the yellow and green ... So I assumed my connector was bad. I replaced the connector and still have the same result? :confused:

Bondo

Staff member

I just checked the voltages at the connector on the truck, the ground was good and the running lights (brown) was good .. when I turn on either blinker, I get voltage (on/of/on/off) on both the yellow and green ... So I assumed my connector was bad. I replaced the connector and still have the same result? :confused:

Ayuh,.... Sounds like the Problem is in the Truck....

TJLMERC330

Cadet

Found it !!! I traced back the wires .. removed the side panal in the back of the truck ... there is a converter there that changes the 5 wire truck side to the 4 wire trailer side ... the converter was bad .... changed it out all is good .....:D