1989 Johnson 9.9 HP engine problem

mroman59

Recruit
I took the boat out for a spin just to see if there was a possible chance that the carburetor would clean it self out. The engine started fine and was running smooth until I approached the speed zone and I gave it the throttle. When I did, the engine began to have loss of power and eventually died. I tried restarting it and the engine would not turn over. I checked any fuses that I thought would be a possibility. No bad fuses were found. My batteries are new and connections are secure. When I got it home, I tried to start it and I could hear the click coming from the solenoid and that's all. It appears that I have two separate problems, the carburetor and now an electrical problem. Since it does not even turn over, what do you think could be the possible causes? Solenoid, starter or other.

When I prime the bulb gas leaks out under the hood and runs out from inside. I was told that it is a needle valve problem and that my carburetor needs cleaned. It was rebuilt last year so hopefully I will just need to clean it rather that buy any new parts. Also, I was told to make sure that the float is adjusted properly.

Help with the electrical problem now would be appreciated.
Thanks, MR

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1989 Johnson 9.9 HP engine problem

when you pump the bulb and fuel leaks out, the float is not closing , its probably got junk in the needle, you should get the rebuild kit, probably less than $20 right here on iBoats.

Charge the battery and try again. And have it load tested free at autozone.

Rick.

Captain

Could be a leak at your pump or a hose also. You need to spend some of your time to look and then post what you find. Your there, we're here. Best of luck. Rick.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you have not, it is time to replace fuel lines from tank to carbs, with alcohol resistant fuel lines.

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad