Volvo-Penta OEM or Aftermarket

Volvo-Penta OEM or Aftermarket

• Total voters

Span 24

Seaman Apprentice
I recently had to change the starter on my 02 4.3GL and was floored by the difference in price for OEM vs Aftermarket. I opted for new OEM.

I want to get a feel for what others think about using OEM vs Aftermarket for marine applications. I am including a poll question but please elaborate.

Thanx in advance!!

Michael

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo-Penta OEM or Aftermarket

I had the same choice for my Volvo 3.0. The boat had an aftermarket starter when I bought it, and the aftermarket one had chewed up the ring gear.

Plus, on a 3.0 there is a bracket in the back of the starter that might not fit on an aftermarket starter (it wasn't installed on mine, I had to order an OEM one). So, for starters I would go OEM again. I think you'll find on here that aftermarket ones often require shimming, and after spending all that time replacing the ring gear I didn't want to mess with a $200 difference in the starter cost to risk having to do it again.

If there's time, a third option is to have your OEM starter rebuilt.

I've been shelling lots of money for OEM Volvo parts because I just want it to be done right the first time. Someone who knows what they are doing can probably save some money with properly "calibrated" risks with aftermarket.

Anyway, now I have a flaming red starter hanging off my black engine :D

Later,
Fred

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I installed an MES marine starter on my old 88 OMC 4.3 when it needed a new one. I got it at a local marine store (I prefer to partronize the local guys and get good service from them) and it cost about 150 or so, fit and works fine.

Attachments

• Cobra starter.jpg
    Cobra starter.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 0

Robj

Lieutenant

I try and avoid buying new ones, rather take my old one to the shop and have them rebuild it. As good as new afterwards, but for alot cheaper.

Have a great day,

Rob.