Manuals? Parts or owners?

I have posted a trhread about my 58 5.5 hp johnson motor, and have since ordered a manual, but have read some threads that said owners manual is worthless.

I was looking for a shop manual, but only found parts or owners manuals.

Looking for some guidance.

Thanks,

Jon

Rick.

Captain
Re: Manuals? Parts or owners?

An owners manual is nice to have but really doesn't have much purpose. What you need is an original OMC service manual and an OMc parts manual. They will give you enough information to ask good questions and guide you through many of the standard repairs you will need to do. Clymer and Sealoc are not of much use and I have found CD manuals are the worst but that could be the vendor. I get my manuals at Ebay. Rick.

Revelation

Cadet

I have a 59 Seahorse 10 that I am working on. This is my first motor that I did more that change plugs and oil. Anyway, I found that the throttle on mine was slow and hard to turn even after greasing. I took to handle off and sprayed lithium grease inside. Throttle moves smooth. I saw that you were working on old motor and thought you might have same problem. Good luck. Thanks for asking about service manuals. I have same problem.

jonesg

Admiral

I have that same 59 10hp, throttle is stiff but I like it that way, set it and leave it. Nice simple motor to work on. I don't have the manual.