Soggy transom- explorer 622

timo615

Recruit
Hello all,
We bought a repo boat. It sat bow down (on the trailer) for who knows how long, and filled up with water for who knows how long. Long enough to rot out the floor in the cuddy, anyway.
While installing the transducer from our new sounder last year, I noticed that as soon as I drilled the first screw hole, water came POURING out of the hole. "how can this be good?" I ask myself. I drilled another hole and water came out of that one too. I used the blower nozzle from my shop compressor to blow out as much water as I could, then installed the transducer and we had great boating fun all summer. Some yahoo on a jet ski sprayed us one day, we took a huge wave over the side, but no problem. I checked the bilge to make sure that the pump was doing it's job and noticed that the bilge was full of big chunks of rotten plywood. ( heavy sigh).
The short story- our new boat guy- says for 3 grand he'll cut up the deck, glass in 2 new stringers and rebuild the transom.
The question- is this throwing good money after bad?
Is this a common occurrence? My buddy was talking to HIS boat guy who says that he just did the same exact repair on another 622. And that the more they dug up the deeper the rot went.
Any thoughts?
Tim

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Soggy transom- explorer 622

Welcome to iboats.
Sorry to hear about your boat.
You have to ask yourself if you like the boat enough to fix it. The guys in the resto section know that once they put so much money in it they won?t get it back when they sell it.

My buddy was talking to HIS boat guy who says that he just did the same exact repair on another 622. And that the more they dug up the deeper the rot went.
Go to the resto section and see how true that stament can be.

You could always part out the boat for some cash and combined with the money you would spend on the rot repairs buy you a different boat.
Either path you take, good luck.

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Moving to restoration section... ;)

jonesg

Admiral

Fix it yourself, do it right, its a very enjoyable project.

valor_7

Cadet

I never ever thought I would dive into a project like a transom stringer replacement until I found Iboats forum. After seeing how guys do it and all the good info. I dove into it myself. It'll probably cost me around $500 when all said and done and take 3 months of after work and weekend time. Sounds like maybe I should do transom / stringer replacement for side work.