OMC 800 outdrive wont tilt Model#981873

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer
Hello All,

The problem first surfaced when the outdrive was in the down position. It would not tilt up. All I would hear is a clicking sound. I loosened the gear on the outdrive and manually lifted it up a few notches. After doing this the tilt motor was then able to fully bring up the outdrive.

Now that I have it in the up position I cannot get the outdrive to go down. Whenever I hit the switch to go down, I get the same clicking noise. When I try to tilt it up I can hear the motor running so I would assume there is nothing wrong with the motor.

Could it just be a bad solenoid?

I did search for other threads similar to my problem, but couldn't find one quite like mine.

Thanks

Kovah55

Banned
Re: OMC 800 outdrive wont tilt Model#981873

Tilt housing remove the 4 bolts, and open up, what came out milky oil. Should be packed with grease. I know it calls for 30 weight oil. Drain the housing box.
Shoot carb cleaner or whatever you want and get it clean in there, or remove via the instructions in your manual, the guts and clean the clutch's, it like a motor cycle clutch. Reinstall the guts and pack the housing with grease.When you reinstall the cover use 2 gaskets, the o-ring does the sealing and do not overtightin the bolts or it will bind the shaft.
The 2 bumpers on the drive made out of rubber remove and do not mix up, mark them, so you can re-install exactly how to removed them. See the zerk fittings, grease them and reinstall the rubber bumpers.
Try it now. If it still doesn't work post and i can walk you thru how to remove the motor and check the hammerblow coupler.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

We got it working. The problem was that the rubber bump stoppers were so worn that they were causing the outdrive to be over extended either way when in full position. We added additional rubber to each bump stop location so the tilt motor could not over extend itself up or down. Once this was done, it has no problems. Took it out to the lake today and it performed flawlessly.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

there are no rubber bumpers for up or down on an 800. I don't know what you made, but if your drive is not able to hit the full down position, the ball gears will wear prematurely and your exhaust will be noisy.

When full down, there are 2 aluminum tapered pins on the drive that must fit in the receptacles of the intermediate.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Well the problem is back so I took Kovah's advice and removed the 4 bolts to see what was in the clutch pack. It was just oil, no water or milky substance. There was a small piece of plastic all bunched up in the gear though. It almost looks like some kind of seal. See below:

Does anyone think that this could have been what was causing my problem? Should I just reseal the clutch pack and fill it back up with oil or do the grease method?

Howard Sterndrive: You can disregard my rambling about the bump stops. I had no idea what I was talking about! :)

Last edited:

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

can't tell the size, if it's about 1" dia.- looks like one of the thrust washers that goes on the horizontal shaft of the tilt drive.

Kinda looks like bacon.... yumm

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

can't tell the size, if it's about 1" dia.- looks like one of the thrust washers that goes on the horizontal shaft of the tilt drive.

Kinda looks like bacon.... yumm

It's about the diameter of a quarter. It is paper thin though. Do you still think its a thrust washer? If so, what item on this page:

http://www.masonmarine.net/omc-stringer-exploded-view-intermediate-housing-c-23_26_1835_396_454.html
do you think it is?

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

that diagram doesn't show it. There's a brass guide pressed into the intermediate that the horizontal shaft slides in (between the hammerblow coupling and worm gear) There's a washer like that on the back side of that guide...that's what you have there pretty sure.
#45 on this pic:
http://shop2.evinrude.com/Scripts/I...6\14.TIF&ilSC=100&ilIV=0&ilBR=0&ilIF=P&ilRE=8

Thank you for the better diagram. I'm definitely saving that one! Do you think it is possible that the removal of that washer is what is giving me my problems with the tilt?

supercab78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That picture makes me hungry for some bacon. : )

Paul eagen

Seaman

I just had mine apart this spring and yes that is the washer that sterndrive was talking about . the worm gear rubs on the brass bushing in the housing. That washer protects the bushing from the worm gear I would replace it as soon as possible or you may have a lot of brass shavings in your housing soon.:eek:

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

I just had mine apart this spring and yes that is the washer that sterndrive was talking about . the worm gear rubs on the brass bushing in the housing. That washer protects the bushing from the worm gear I would replace it as soon as possible or you may have a lot of brass shavings in your housing soon.:eek:

Thank you. I am going to completely disassemble the unit today and see what other parts may be damaged. Then order everything I need.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Well, besides the nylon washer, everything else appears to be in great shape. I have ordered a new nylon washer along with a new o-ring for the retainer and bushing and a new oil retainer clutch. I also have a new o-ring for the clutch cover and two new gaskets. I will reassemble the tilt mechanism and pack it with grease instead of oil and hope for the best!

Thanks everyone.

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I got the tilt clutch all put back together with the aformentioned parts. Everything is working great now. The tilt even stops at the correct intervals when lowering so that it does not slam down. It never did that before.

parrisw

Ensign

What's the idea behind packing the housing with grease instead of the proper oil?

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

What's the idea behind packing the housing with grease instead of the proper oil?

I guess because these housings are prone to leaking water so the grease is a better alternative. I forgot to mention that because my housing was not leaking I just refilled it with 30w oil.

parrisw

Ensign

I guess because these housings are prone to leaking water so the grease is a better alternative. I forgot to mention that because my housing was not leaking I just refilled it with 30w oil.

Ya, ours was leaking, this year I rebuild the tilt stuff, new motor, and resealed the housing, we'll find out at the end of the summer if its still leaking.