Pits, small holes in transom of aluminum boat

Seriesnuns

Cadet
Hi all,

Well I noticed earlier this week that I am getting pin like small holes that ARE GETTING BIGGER in my transom.

My boat is a 1999 bass tracker, painted aluminum.

I have only noticed 1 small hole so far, but it is getting bigger. I have also noticed another spot where it looks like the same deteriation/pitting is happening.

Has anyone had any expierence with this?

I'm thinking about waiting until it's maybe 1/8 inch in diameter and clean it out and seal it with something?

Looking for idea's on a something to fill this cavity/pit/hole.

Boat is used mainly in freshwater, saltwater maybe once a year.

Any help would be great.
THANKS!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Pits, small holes in transom of aluminum boat

Something is eating the metal. Is the wood directly behind the holes? Can you get to the other side of them?

You are going to have to stop the corrosion ...... it is essentially "aluminum rust" !!

Same way we do on cars. Strip the bad away and seal it up to the elements. Take a look at gluvit made by marine tex or even JB weld since the transon does not (should not) flex. Some people have even gone with patches riveted on and sealed.

Seriesnuns

Cadet

I'll have to take a look at the inside of the transom, it's so hard to get at it with the space tracker provides.

I have noticed that water does drain through the inside of the transom, where the back of the boat meets the transom, there's a 6" recessed area.

hmmm. I'll have a look and maybe take a trip down to west marine.

Jerry Ahrens

Recruit

You may be experiencing signs of electrolisis. This can be caused by faulty wiring in the boat, or the trolling motor. Check to make sure all grounds are ran to the battery, and NOT thru the hull of the boat. I have seen trolling motors that are wired to the main engine cranking battery cause these types of problems. Is the trolling motor shaft showing signs of corrosion?
It may be worth checking into to be sure.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Is there any Pressure Treated wood in the transom?

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

You may be experiencing signs of electrolisis. This can be caused by faulty wiring in the boat, or the trolling motor. Check to make sure all grounds are ran to the battery, and NOT thru the hull of the boat. I have seen trolling motors that are wired to the main engine cranking battery cause these types of problems. Is the trolling motor shaft showing signs of corrosion?
It may be worth checking into to be sure.

i totally agree here. I would make sure that someone didnt ground any thing to your hull as well.

parrisw

Ensign

Are the zinc's good on the motor? Maybe you should put a couple on the hull as well on the back.