SEE! I told you, assume everything is wrong

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
About two weeks ago I bought an nice early 1980s Chrysler 50 for 80 bucks. Seller just acquired it with a lot of several other engines and just did not want to bother with it. Cosmetically it was in great shape and seemed to have no corrosion problems.

Finally, today I got to do some testing on it.

Once I wired it up and put fuel in it, it fired right up and settled into a remarkably smooth idle. Hot Damn! Not bad for an unknown engine.

BUT--Before I use it I decided to do my usual and change the impeller and lower unit oil.

The lower unit was bone dry, not even smell came out. Then I dropped it and lo and behold, the impeller was in decent condition BUT the P.O. had left off the bottom stainless plate. That water pump would have pumped nothing.

SO: Moral of the story? Assume nothing even if the engine appears in GREAT shape. Check everything that can wear or be changed. Tomorrow the fuel pump diaphragm gets changed and the carb cleaned.

The engine is already mounted on my 10 foot tunnel hull with a 10 1/2 X 14 bronze racing prop. Maybe I'll see what she can do this weekend.

Imissedem

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: SEE! I told you, assume everything is wrong

Nice job Frank.If i could only be so lucky.I had posted here on the force site a while back on which way to go.The johnson or force because the boat i bought came with the 2.And dont you know i am having trouble with the johnson. So i think i am at the point of trying out the force.So Frank could you check out my post about the johnson 150 and see if you have any input or suggestions before i call it quits on the johnson.I also did not like how the boat sat in the water/i think this motor is just to heavy for my 18` Renken.It is rated for up to 150HP.Thanks John