Receiver and Auxiarly Outlet

SteveDavis

Seaman
So, this is a two parter. I have a lot of things on the drawing board with my boat, these are a few smaller and hopefully easy things. I want to install a ciggarette lighter for auxiarly use. What is the best way to do so? I also want to redue my shotty CD player install. On the cig. lighter, I have an open spot on my fuse box. It is inttended for tilt/trim, but has never worked and I have it working on the throtle. Can I connect it there and what should I watch out for? Secondly, I have installed CD players in cars, but not in a boat. Currently mine is direct wired to the boats main battery. This seems like the wrong wat to do it. How should it be done? Is there any diagrams that anyone knows of on either or both of my subjects?

Thanks and happy boating!
Steve

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Receiver and Auxiarly Outlet

You have a fuse panel. Everything should be connected there. No need to run wires all the way back to the battery.

SteveDavis

Seaman

You have a fuse panel. Everything should be connected there. No need to run wires all the way back to the battery.

Ok, Ok, call me ignorant, but I only really have one open spot on it. I plan on putting the auxiallry outlet on to it. The radio, I am concerned with it not staying on for my presets. Will it have constant power if I put it to the box?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

12 volts is 12 volts -- it doesn't matter where it comes from. You do not need to go back to the battery with the constant power wire either. It just needs to be an unswitched source. Radios normally have an in-line fuse so tap into another low current draw circuit. The red lead from the battery to the fuse panel provides 12 volts to the panel. Tap into that connection.