guages going crazy

pitbulll

Cadet
ok if i go pass 4000 rpm my rpm and temp guage start going crazy going up and down really fast mind you my temp guage dont even work i cant get it to tell me temp of engine.if i lower the speed down to 4000 rpm then guage goes back to normal.any idea what i can do

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: guages going crazy

We need more information, engine year, model, etc...

That being said...I have seen this before on engines with a bad charging circuit related to a bad rectifier/regulator.

timalabim

Seaman

Not sure about the temp gauge, but I had the same tach symptom before I figured out my rectifier was bad and I wasn't charging.

hoeser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check your charging voltage... throw a multimeter on the battery with the engine off, start the engine, the voltage should increase substantially, at a high idle you should see close to 14V. If the voltage is unchanged from not running to running, you have a bad regulator/rectifier.

pitbulll

Cadet

Check your charging voltage... throw a multimeter on the battery with the engine off, start the engine, the voltage should increase substantially, at a high idle you should see close to 14V. If the voltage is unchanged from not running to running, you have a bad regulator/rectifier.

ok i will try this and up date thanks