Anybody used a winch like this?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Anybody used a winch like this?

Seems a little too fancy for such a simple item. The plastic parts will be broken within a year most likely. I'd stick with a regular manual annodized winch. It's $20-30 more expensive than regular annodized steel winches.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Nice looking winch. Wonder how it performs ??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if it is for the boats in your signature, it is way too much winch.

VaGent

Petty Officer 1st Class

Based on the price & what I see in the picture they are mighty proud of it. They just don't believe in the old saying of "KISS" anymore do they? Keeping It Simple Stupid doesn't generate MONEY does it?

Huron Angler

Admiral

if it is for the boats in your signature, it is way too much winch.

I agree. I'm looking at buying a 15' Starcraft and really was just curious if anyone had used one like this and what people thought about it.

Even with a cooler full of beer I am quite able to get the 12 footer on my modified box trailer with no winch. As far as my 40lb canoe I think it's ridiculous to even talk about using a winch since I can carry it around all day long if needed.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I just got an idea,
anyone ever put a winch like that on the bow to use as an anchoring system?

or maybe even an atv winch.

The problem may be getting enough rope/cable onto the winch to reach the bottom.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

I just got an idea,
anyone ever put a winch like that on the bow to use as an anchoring system?

Ya! Gilligan and the Skipper did that :rolleyes:

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Your Fulton looks a little more solid and foolproof that the one I posted. Not rated for quite as much weight but a nice looking winch for a smaller boat. How big is your boat?

I use the 1800# on my 17' bow rider, and the smaller one on my PWC.

The PWC doesn't need anything this heavy...but, I like the looks!

haulnazz15

Captain

Using that winch as a windlass would be ridiculous. It would also be much slower than pulling in the rode yourself. Also, I would never want an ATV winch or anything with a steel cable attached to my anchor. If I can't get the anchor up, or wose if it's stuck and the waves are coming in, I want to be able to cut the rope. Otherwise you end up like the moron NFL players that died because the left the boat anchored at the stern when tide came in.

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

As a salt water boater rust is my biggest enemy. The plastic cover will hold moisture (I suspect it's a safety feature to keep body parts out). But with boats up to 20' or so we never dunk out trailers, so we need bigger winches than most would. We also don't launch/retrieve loaded with the heavy gear such as coolers. We prefer rollers but with bunks, either dish soap or teflon pads are the ticket.
I used to have 16' starcrafts, aluminum bowrider 55 hp, and used the basic old hand winch just fine. However, my arms were 35 years younger. I have also hand cranked a failed power winch to haul out larger glas boats. It can be done. If yo are dunking the trailer and only need those last 5' anything shuold work.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like a big fishin reel . I'd like to put it on a 25 foot Ugly Stick,and see how far I could cast a 10 pound sinker.