change impellors wont go into gear

hochus

Recruit
I have a 1985 310 classic. It has twin 230 mercruisers with alpha 1 drives. Boat overheated both engines so i replaced the water pumps in the drives.
I pulled it apart just like the manual say and did the oppisite for the port side since it is a counter rotation drive.
I put it back together several times know and I can not get it to go into gear. If it goes into forward it wont go into reverse, same thing if I get int into reverse wont go into forward. It sounds like it is right there but just a here off.
I pulled the whole drive off not just the lower unit due to a bolt that was stuck for the trim tab.
I have adjusted shifter cables but I still only can get one of the gears.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Euro95

Seaman Apprentice
Re: change impellors wont go into gear

Are you sure the drive was engaged in gear when ya put it back on, it could have bumped out.

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: change impellors wont go into gear

Don't play with the cables. It worked before you dropped the drive correct? So how would playing with the cables solve anything.
You are not fully in foward gear when you went to install the drive.
Drop the drive again. Spin the driveshaft clockwise while you turn the shift spline clockwise until the drive goes into gear. After its in gear grab the prop with a bungee cord and hold it counterclockwise, tension the cord and hook it to the anti-cav plate. Make sure your shifter is all the way foward in the boat. Re-install the drive, if your splines are off a degree pull the prop counter clockwise a hair until the drive goes up all the way.

Fix your cables by the book. Look up in the "adults only" section for the correct manual.