15 hp evinrude

sapustka

Recruit
bought motor unseen and enigne runs fine on top end and at idle but when put into gear it wants to bog and die unless you pull choke and give it the gas. pulled plugs imedeatly after it dies and plugs are wet. seems to me like its flooding out when a load is put on motor. Compression is 90 psi on both cyclinders. had a mechanic look through carb and he said it looked fine
model # E15REDG

kybill66

Cadet
Re: 15 hp evinrude

One thing it could be if you think it is loading up. Pull the fuel pump off and see or smell for gas around the center hole on the back of the pump, sometimes the diaphram has a hole in it and it will dump fuel into the crankcase and load up.

Rick.

Captain

Looks like you have a 96 which is way newer than any I've worked on. Take a look at the top of this forum in the Top Secret File. Lots of good stuff in there. I would suggest you do a linc and sinc. and adjust your slow speed needle (one turn out from lightly seated) and then adjust it from there. If that doesn't so it for you I would recommend a good carb cleaning and a new kit. Best of luck and keep us informed. Rick.

1996 model, Evinrude dealer has carb kit, no problem even were it a '76 model.

This is a separate problem, but 90 psi indicates a worn out motor, needs honing and re-ringing (if not reboring). A good 15 pulls around 130 psi. I'm rebuilding several of them, they're good motors but don't turn them 6500-7000 RPM using 50/1 oil mix unless you use Evinrude XD-100.

can anybody find a carb. kit number for that model enigne.

sapustka

Recruit

so do you think I should us the xd-100 oil at 50-1 ratio and try to run this motor? I pulled the head and the cylinders had minor scoring but really coudnt catch a fingernail on it. pistons have some slack is 90psi really that bad and what is the lowest psi it will run descent at. It runs good on top end and at a idle put bogs slightly when put into gear it runs for about 15 to 20 seconds when put into gear at idle speed

iwombat

Captain

. . . but 90 psi indicates a worn out motor, needs honing and re-ringing (if not reboring).

I completely disagree. That motor will run nicely with 90psi reading. Dead even is an exceptionally good sign.

I would rebuild it. Any scoring now will become worse with use, doing greater damage to the cylinders. You'll need new pistons, rings and rod bearings along with a gasket set and crank seals. $200-300 for parts, and you can buy a lot of that cheaply from vendors (like 'Aunt Leigh') on Ebay. 90 psi is too low, I would regard 115 psi as low, 125 psi is good. Run XD-100 at 50:1 after it's been rebuilt. I'm rebuilding two 15s now, 1979 and 1985, have just finished a 1981 for personal use.

so do you think I should us the xd-100 oil at 50-1 ratio and try to run this motor? I pulled the head and the cylinders had minor scoring but really coudnt catch a fingernail on it. pistons have some slack is 90psi really that bad and what is the lowest psi it will run descent at. It runs good on top end and at a idle put bogs slightly when put into gear it runs for about 15 to 20 seconds when put into gear at idle speed