Sudden loss of spark/ trimmer

polk county

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I cleaned the carb, put it back on and started it. The trimmer ran for a few seconds and died. I couldnt get it started. I put a little gas in the cylinder to jump start it and couldnt get it going. Finally I tested the spark with a light-up checker and got nothing. How do I troubleshoot this problem. The on switch is in the on position.

Help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

v1_0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sudden loss of spark/ trimmer

I cleaned the carb, put it back on and started it. The trimmer ran for a few seconds and died. I couldnt get it started. I put a little gas in the cylinder to jump start it and couldnt get it going. Finally I tested the spark with a light-up checker and got nothing. How do I troubleshoot this problem. The on switch is in the on position.

Help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

I'm not a professional mechanic so I usually go from simplest/cheapest to hardest when I look at these things on my stuff.

First thing to check is the sparkplug. Make sure that it is ok - read it too to see if you are running right.

Next, inspect the sparkplug wire for cracks/discolorations/etc.

I don't know your trimmer, so I can't say how to do it or what would be easier to do next - but I would check the switch (volt ohm meter/continuity tester), then trace things to the coil or whatever you have that generates spark. I'm thinking you have a loose/cut/damaged wire if it's not the sparkplug based on your description.

Splat

Lieutenant

Follow the wire from the kill switch and make sure you didn't accidently pinch or damage it when you re installed the carb. If that looks good nex remove the small wire that runs to the ignition coil. Check for spark. If you have spark with the kill wire disconnected you have a wiring issue, either the wire rubbed through somewhere or the switch is damaged.

If no spark with wire off the coil is bad. Depending on the brand it may be time for a new one.

Bill

polk county

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tried disconnecting the kill switch and still no spark. Here is the exploded diagram. What number part needs to be replaced? Number 26 is the ignition coil. What does number 8 do(the module)

Thanks for the help

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would guess either 26 or 8.

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

The module is most likely your "points". It controls your coil and the kill switch. I agree with Splat if it worked before most likely pinched wire.