Working as a deckhand

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander
So I recently had the urge to quit my job and try to get a job as a deckhand on a ship somewhere. (I have not done anything yet) But I looked on a few sites, and one company said you need USCG certifications before you can even apply to be a deckhand. But the USCG application for this certification was very confusing, and I probally don't have the right experince anyway to get this certification.

So do you need any certification to start off as a deckhand or not?

how do you get your foot in the door?

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Working as a deckhand

First off I wouldn't quit any job right now, secondly what kind of ship? Fishing, commercial, privately owned, what? Most deckhands I know are hired by word of mouth, it's a very transient lifestyle.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I would want to work commercially, preferably as a deckhand on a commercial barge or something. then maybe work my way up. I kinda want to leave this area anyway.

I just think you need a USCG certification.
One company says you need STCW certification.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Bowman, have you are considered a carear with the USCG? Join them and get all your training and protect and serve our country at the same time. I would have loved to do this, but not an option for me anymore.

Anyway, just a thought. Good luck to you with whatever path you choose.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I almost did join the coast guard, but i got a job in finance. I still might do that, but i would rather have the extra freedom that comes with having a deckhand job, instead of committing to 4 years on a ship.

gss036

Commander

I have a friend who started out as a deck hand for ARCO Marine, worked his way all the way to Captain on a tanker before retiring. It is not all the glamor one would expect, it is a hard and lonely life. You do not get a lot of time to be with your family, so not really a good job for a married man unless you want to separated from from the family at least 6-8 months at a time.
Do some investigating and make an educated decision, not really just a whim.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

and the Merchant Marine, Crusie Ship Lines, findacrew.net, etc. Best of Luck.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Yep...who carries/handles ABS ratings nowadays anyway?

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't know much about the American system. (I'm Canadian) But STCW stands for "Standards of Training, Certification & Watchkeeping" and all countries that subscribe to "IMO" (International Maritime Organization) have to follow these international standards for safety.

Check for training institutions that can offer the needed courses ("Marine Emergency Duties Courses" in Canada) other alternatives include the Coast Guard (as mentioned) or an apprenticeship program where training is included.

If you contact your marine transportation authority (not sure what it is called in the U.S.), they will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck!

Jeep Man

Commander

If you think you'll have "extra freedom as a deckhand" you haven't researched the job very much or talked to anyone who has "walked the walk". AND,the guy who works hard and uses his head, is the guy that moves up.