Finaly the 80hp height issue with pics.

a70eliminator

Captain
Hi again, I never payed much attention to motor height until now as i just hung the replacement for my piston scored 60hp, I used all the cosmetics from the 60hp including the longshaft leg, cowling ect, an 80hp powerhead now hides behind the 60sportfour cowling and badges.
Do you think the cav. plate is too far below the hull? If I can safely raise it some it would be a good move as I fish alot from this boat and hitting something in shallow water is one of my biggest fears not to mention maybe there would be a performance gain in there too.

Just a side note: I notice alot of play in the motor mount, the top pin of the transom clamps fits loosely into the motor mount and I think thats where the play comes from?

Attachments

• transom 040.jpg
    transom 040.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • transom 037.jpg
    transom 037.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: Finaly the 80hp height issue with pics.

I don't remember exactly what the inches are, but it looks like you are a little low, but not much. Anyone want to chime in here?

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

That motor's a wolf in a smaller wolf's skin! HA!:D

The height looks good to me. The cavitation plate on the motor should be about level with the bottom of the boat. It looks like it's only off by the width of the ruler so you're fine. I'd leave it.

BOB

a70eliminator

Captain

I may raise it 1 hole because I have to pull it back off anyhow to fix the loose mount issue.
Turns out the transom top plate is preventing the bracket clamps from fitting flush to the transom causing slop in the upper pinch points allowing the motor to jiggle in and out, the fix will be to grind the plate flush with the transom in that area where the clamps contact, you can see in the photos how it sticks out slighty.

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

I think I see what you're saying, but if you move the motor up one mounting hole will you still need to do any grinding?

BOB

a70eliminator

Captain

Well I eneded up taking a little round file to the transom clamp and relieved it just a tough and she now fits nice a flush.
Got the boat out for trial and it's all good 4700 RPM tops and decent idle, she throttles up smooth and strong but if I back off to comfortable cruise about 2700RPM she gets a little rough so there's something just not quite in tune yet, overall there's really not all that much differance to the old 60HP, I see maybe 32MPH @ 4700 where my 60 went 28MPH @ 4500.
The 60 swung a 10X9-1/4 prop the 80hp prop I haven't been able to identify yet.

a70eliminator

Captain

Hi, I've been raising my engine height one hole at a time, I'm now at the third hole and the cav. plate is just slightly below the bottom of the transom, I still have one more hole to raise it which would locate the cav. right even with transom.
Now let me tell you what I have noticed so far, the boat does seem to have a little less bow rise, if I trim the engine out even one step from full in she porpoises, so full in seems to be best, I then switched props from the 10 x 9-1/4 to my spare 10-1/2 x 10 and it looses grip, I put the 10 x 9-1/4 back on and I pulls good from the holeshot to full plane.
At full plane WOT I looked over the transom and I still cannot see the cav. plate, but there is a secondary cav. plate at the leading edge of the extention housing, you can see it in the photo's above, I notice water being flung up and deflecting off of it making a nice fan of spray, I'm just afraid that last hole up may cause this prop to start loosing grip too.
There is a keel that portrudes below the transom, it sticks down about 2" and then tapers up the last 6" to blend in with bottom of the transom, is this something to consider when trying to raise up cav. plate even with transom?

pduquette

Ensign

32????:D:D:D I hope mine gets that fast !!!! peter