What happens when a power pack goes bad??

gitterdunn

Cadet
My 40 HP johnson has been in for service 4 times in the last 5 months. It usually starts having a bad idle, at higher throttle it starts to hesitate to a point where it seems to be running on one cylinder. When I take it in to my mechanic it seems to run fine for him in his tank (but he cannot bring the rpms to high to duplicate problem. He has pulled the cards 3 times and everytime he says there clean as whistle. Could this be the power pack. This thing is driving me crazy and putting me out of alot of fishin time. Any advice is appreciated.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: What happens when a power pack goes bad??

Has any one taken a compression test. Power pak's seem the same as VRO's, the cause of all problems. Every ignition componet must be tested, could be as simple as spark plug. Have you tried that?

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My dealer said I could lightly tap the power pack at the rpm I was having surging. Turns out it was my timing though. Maybe one more thing to check? A hack had butchered the motor before I bought the boat, I'm still trying to get things back to oem spec.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I don't think I would go back to that dealer either

jonesg

Admiral

My dealer said I could lightly tap the power pack at the rpm I was having surging. Turns out it was my timing though. Maybe one more thing to check? A hack had butchered the motor before I bought the boat, I'm still trying to get things back to oem spec.

Getting it back to spec is always good,
compression and spark gap test it.
Go thru it per the service manual.