Boat Speed and Planing

Mark Murray

Recruit
The only time my boat planes is when I'm going slow or fast any speed in between and the bow is up and stern is plowing through the water. Any ideas as to what is wrong please help - boat and trailer newbie!

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Boat Speed and Planing

Actually, the only time your boat is planing is at high speed. At low speed, it may be level, but it's not planing.

For every boat, there is a minimum speed at which it goes into planing mode. That speed depends on the hull design, loading, and weight distribution.

It's normal for the bow to rise between slow, displacement speed and the time it goes on plane and flattens out. How long it takes to get there depends on many factors.

For us to get further into your particular boat, we need to know what boat you have, how much horspower it's rated for, how much it has, and how you have it loaded.

From there, we can probably help you minimize the bow-up time and get you on plane at the lowest speed possible for your boat and engine.

More information, please.

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More info is needed, but my quick answer is you are not trimming properly. For r a more thorough answer, you should respond to the previous post, and I am sure he will be able to work you through it.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Actually, the only time your boat is planing is at high speed. At low speed, it may be level, but it's not planing.

For every boat, there is a minimum speed at which it goes into planing mode. That speed depends on the hull design, loading, and weight distribution.

It's normal for the bow to rise between slow, displacement speed and the time it goes on plane and flattens out. How long it takes to get there depends on many factors.

For us to get further into your particular boat, we need to know what boat you have, how much horspower it's rated for, how much it has, and how you have it loaded.

From there, we can probably help you minimize the bow-up time and get you on plane at the lowest speed possible for your boat and engine.

More information, please.

I'm going with the above-
My 16' fiberglass bassboat is "level" at slow speed but "planes" about 3000rpm :rolleyes:
Your mileage will vary :D