Engine Information Needed

Brad S

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What kind of availabilty is there for Mid 80's to mid 90's motors (make not that important) that have 25" shafts?
Thanks

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Engine Information Needed

You can get them pretty easily, but due to the oddities of the current emissions rules, older working motors that don't meet emissions are grandfathered into compliance, so they're still worth something, and are still more expensive than you'd think.

Why do you want that specific length?

Brad S

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My transom is a 25" transom. It has been cut down (by the previous owner) to accomdate a 20" shaft motor but was done very poorly at best
I was going to repair the transom to it's original height but started wondering the availability of 25" shaft motors.
If I keep the transom the way it is, I will probably have to build a splash well.
The boat is a 16' bayrunner and just rying not use up any more room than I have to

erikgreen

Captain

Ah, okay.

Sure, you can find an older 25" motor. Not as common as the 20s, but they're around here and there.

Don't count on getting one for a cheap price though, like I said even older motors are going for a moderate amount of money. I've seen people selling 30 year old motors lately.

Erik

Brad S

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks for the info
when i finally figure out how to use photbucket, i will start posting pic's as i go

again, thanks
brad