Wheel Bearing Dust covers

Mark Murray

Recruit
I repacked my bearings and purchaded new dust covers. they didn't have any on the trailer when I bought it. However, they keep popping off within a 1/2 of driving out of my driveway. Does anyone know why this would happen?

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wheel Bearing Dust covers

Sounds like there slightly too small, you might want to take a micrometer and measure it out, i know some of the chianese dust caps dont seem to fit as well even though there the right size a few decimal points off can make it not fit right. Another thing you may not be driving it into the hub strong enough, those take a good wailing on to get them in, use a board so you dont dent the cap up or if you have a a piece of metal tube that would fit over it and get on the flanges. good luck :cool:

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Now you know why the trailer didn't come with covers.

1/2 driveway length is not very far. Have someone watch the axle and spindle with no cover when your back up. Sounds like something is out of round or screwed up.

Mark Murray

Recruit

driveway is 100 yards -
I've wrapped them on using the board idea and have purchased two different brands - I'll look for a deeper brand and have someone check the wheel / hub rotation - thanks

htv

Seaman

Don't fight it. Hubs are pretty cheap, probably about $40.00 a piece complete with bearings and cap.