Chrysler 55 HP Temp Sensor Cracked

mnowicki

Cadet
I have a 1976 Chrysler 55 HP 559HG motor. When I originally purchased the boat the temp sensor appeared to have been cracked at one time and glued/epoxied back together.. After using the motor for half the year it seperated so I purchased a used one and put it on.. Now this one is cracked and seperated from the bolt that goes into the head next to the top spark plug.. Now my question.. Can I epoxy this back together? It seems that is the way it was put together when new.... I'm sure I can find something that will withstand some heat and keep it together... They want $65.00 for a new one and I don't want to blow $30 on another used one.. It just seems like its a waste when its just glued together anyway...
Also what causes these things to crack..

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Mark

Last edited:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: Chrysler 55 HP Temp Sensor Cracked

Expansion caused by the heating and cooling cycles that the head goes through are probable caused for separation. I've used an epoxy product (many others have too ) called JB WELD on many cracked cast iron automotive engines and small air cooled lawn mower engines with good results. It might be worth a shot.

mnowicki

Cadet

Thanks... That's what I am going to try... Put it together with JB-Weld last night so we will see how it works.... I would also like to test it out after epoxying it together... I've read you can put it a pot of hot water (approx 140 deg.) and test it with an ohm meter.. Anyone know for sure on the testing?

Thanks for the input..

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Yes that should do it. Not sure at what temperature the sensor is made to go off at but you'll find out if you're checking it with the ohm meter.

Tom 3

Recruit

I have a 1976 Chrysler 55 HP 559HG motor. When I originally purchased the boat the temp sensor appeared to have been cracked at one time and glued/epoxied back together.. After using the motor for half the year it seperated so I purchased a used one and put it on.. Now this one is cracked and seperated from the bolt that goes into the head next to the top spark plug.. Now my question.. Can I epoxy this back together? It seems that is the way it was put together when new.... I'm sure I can find something that will withstand some heat and keep it together... They want $65.00 for a new one and I don't want to blow $30 on another used one.. It just seems like its a waste when its just glued together anyway...
Also what causes these things to crack..

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

I was wondering where you were able to find a temp sensor for your motor. I have a '74 Chrysler 75 hp and don't seem to be able to find a sensor anywhere. Would be very interested to know where you got yours (and would be willing to pay for a new one if possible). Thanks.

Tom