Superchargers?

RisqueBznss

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone have info/experience on superchargers?

I have a single 300hp mercruiser w/ duo prop on a Doral 28 Monticello. Wondering what kind of performance boost and cost on adding a supercharger. More for some low end oooomph to get going w/ a loaded boat.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Re: Superchargers?

Only because I have one on my car. The performance increase is truly incredible the extra tourque never drops off at any rpm. I would love to have a supercharged boat as well. There is a member on the factory Chaparral board who installed one. I would suggest finding his posts. I think he has the same engine you mentioned.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

1. Expect to pay a ton of money....
2. Don't expect it to last forever.
3. Alot of engines you can't simply drop on a supercharger. If the factory compression is to high then the block needs to be built with different pistons, heads etc to lower the compression before you can add a supercharger.

It can be a ton of money with little or no warranty. You have to do some research yourself with whom is going to sell you the products and do the work, but It may be more cost effective in the long run to go to a big block.

RisqueBznss

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the info. I'll do a little more searching. Happy boating everyone!

RisqueBznss

Seaman Apprentice

found this:

ProCharger Marine M-1 Intercooled Kit
524-1MC222-NN

MerCruiser 350 Mag and 5.7 (carbureted)

Due to higher compression, only intercooled systems are recommended for stock 350/5.7 motors. With an Intercooled Procharger system, there is no need for internal engine modifications prior to supercharging, and power gains of 45-55% are typical with stock motors running pump gas.

Now On Sale! $4,899.99 $4,531.58

Whipple had a price of $6700 and change.

I guess my question really should have been lowest cost ways to boost power out of the hole. I should probably have my duo probs checked. The boat does 45mph so I have plenty of top end to give up in order to gain some more pop outta da hole!

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Keep it simple.
Stroker baby.....You can have a 383 built for less than you would spend on the super charger, easily make 400hp and be dead reliable.

Oh yeah, you could still sell you current 350 and recover some of the cost.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Two speed or shifting propeller.

Thay are fun.....

I have been running a powershift for two years and it catches people by surprise when it shifts (pitch changes 6 inches).

Looking forward to trying out the powershift this summer, if I ever get the boat in the water:(

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

in my humble opinion about the only reason to put a blower motor in a boat is if you want reliable steady horsepower beyond what can be made with a normally aspirated engine that has manners you can use in a boat. AND if you're going to have it built and set up from the ground up by someone who knows blown marine engines... then it will make gobs of power and be reliable for a long time. Make sure the battery is fresh in the pacemaker before you look at the bill though...

You can do a stroked small block like a 383 that'll make a good amount of power for maybe 6-7k if you do it right and will have more than stock bigblock horsepower (350 ish) and torque the nice savings here is if you go relatively mild and your factory exhaust can work and save the dollars for a new exhaust. or you can go with a big block... it all depends on how much power you want... and how much it's worth to you.

JHuck

Seaman

I had a Powerdyne on a stock '95 Mustang. Although Powerdyne wasn't known to make long lived centrifugal blowers, it was still a blast to drive compared to stock. Power came on later in the rpms so it allowed the car to hook up like normal.

Having a 383 in my boat right now, I would agree with Tim that similar money could be spent on a n/a application that would provide great low end torque and the speed you are looking for. My weak link is the Alpha but I knew that going into it. I've probably spent $6K on my set up that makes 430hp and 460 ft/lbs of tq through almost stock manifolds.

Now, if I had fun money to spend on the boat to make it an 80 mph rocket, a procharger and forged 383 motor would make a hell of a combination for $12,000 or so dollars (I need to stop reading back issues of Hot Boat magazine!). That of course wouldn't include the extra $000s for a Bravo drive.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Heads, Cam, Intake and Carb for $1500 ? Could probably add 50 hp easily.