Help replacing Trim/Tilt Hose

cccphillips

Recruit
I have a '93 Four Winns w/ 5.0 OMC Cobra. One of the hydraulic hoses that runs from the pump to the transom is damaged and leaking. I cannot get to the fitting at the transom. Do I have to remove the outdrive and go at it that way?

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Help replacing Trim/Tilt Hose

Who knows???? The boat is not in front of us and we have no idea how long your arms are.
But the trim pump is inside the boat. And I'm assuming your talking about the lines that run to the inner transom plate. You will probably have to pull the drive then the engine to get to the fittings.
I've worked on quite a few 4Winns boats. The engine compartments aren't the most cramped i've ever seen... but they aren't all the big either.

cccphillips

Recruit

I can reach it...just can't get a wrench on it. The motor is not in the way...the line terminates behind the transom plate.

I removed the outdrive and the pivot housing. I can now see the junction where the four hydraulic lines from the two cylinders connect. The "junction" has one 7/16 nut along with the four hydraulic lines. If I remove these lines and the one nut, will this allow me to gain access by way of separation?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

From the outside:

1) remove the outdrive
2) remove the pivot housing (2 1/2" allen head screws)
3) remove the two trim hose retaining brackets (one on each side) of the gimbal housing so the lines are free
4) remove the retaining nut on the trim hose manifold

From the inside:

5) disconnect the trim hoses from the trim pump. Mark the "UP" hose
6) Using a punch/driver of some sort, whack the back of the through-housing trim hose manifold. It will pop out.

From the outside:

7) Pull the manifold forward until you can twist it and see where the trim hoses connect
8) remove both hoses from the manifold (replace o-rings while you're in there)
9) remove old hose, re-route new hose
10) install new o-ring on the manifold
11) reconnect hoses to the manifold
12) coat the manifold with gasket sealer
13) re-install the manifold, pivot housing, drive

From the inside:

14) reconnect the trim hoses to the pump
15) test the tilt system
16) check fluid levels

Notes: you may need to disconnect the 4 hoses that run to the outside of the manifold. They can keep you from being able to pull the manifold forward enough. Next time don't run the engine without a water supply and the hose won't melt ;)

Go boating!

PS: If you had a service manual, you'd know all this. Hint hint!!

cccphillips

Recruit

Thank you...worked like a charm. I am have some new hoses made up tomorrow. I have a seloc manual but it does not have this info anywhere. I did notice something interesting. Some ends of the hoses have o-ring and some don't. I will have to look into this further before i put it back together. Again....THANKS!

cccphillips

Recruit

Thank you...worked like a charm. I am have some new hoses made up tomorrow. I have a seloc manual but it does not have this info anywhere. I did notice something interesting. Some ends of the hoses have o-ring and some don't. I will have to look into this further before i put it back together. Again....THANKS!