'88 OMC 4.3l - Milkly oil - Help

Stvishere

Recruit
I need help! I put my boat in the water this weekend. Ran perfect for 10 minutes @ 50mph. when I noticed the engine compartment taking more water then usual. I pulled the boat & drained the water with the bildge pump but noticed a round cyclinder "cap" on the bottom of the engine block that came off. I put it back on the but when I started the engine, milky white oil shot out of the carb all over the engine. Is this due to a bad head gasket, cracked block, or rings?? I'm lost. Perhaps the boat wasn't winterized properly. Please help.

Thanks
Steve

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: '88 OMC 4.3l - Milkly oil - Help

The round cap was probably a core plug. Sounds like freeze damage.
Start looking for cracks in the manifolds,the sides of the block just under where the heads meet.
Either way you have big problems...I bet you are still running the original bat wing style OMC exhaust manifolds too....

Welcome to Iboats!!

Stvishere

Recruit

Thanks Gary. Ugh, sounds like bad news. Assuming it's a cracked block, that probably means a new engine. Any idea how much it would cost to replace the equivelant 4.3l engine?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

around 1500....Then if your exhaust manifolds are original or the old style OMC add 1000 for new manifolds..

Do a forum search for Rapid-O engines..Many guys here have bought from them with good luck and they have good prices on long blocks.

monico

Cadet

Hi Steve, I am in the same situation exactly. This is a real lesson for me. If I find out any information I will pass it on. If you have any info or have recieved some insight, please pass this info on as well. I'm Hoping it's not a cracked block. I've priced the reman's and they are around $2000.00. I called my local boat shop, and he told me it would be around $4500.00 OOCH! These guy's on iboats really know there boats. (I wish I did) Anyway, to all of you out there helping us rookie's. Thank's

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

It is very rare NOT to find damage after a core plug pops out
Internal and external cracks are common .All you can do is learn from this experiance and not let it happen again. Short blocking is another option vs a complete motor but with freeze damage you`d better be sure the manifols and risers didn`t crack also.

monico

Cadet

I'm not sure what short blocking is. Can someone explain? Thanks, Monico

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

you buy a new block, pistons, rods, cam,lifters ,heads assembled already, you add all your external components,the metal tins,(valve cover, timing cover, oil pan) motor mounts, intake, flywheel ,etc

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Steve,
Sounds like a crack in the cooling jacket that is letting water enter the crankcase. The engine stirs the water & oil into a froth which exit the breather vent or the oil fill port.

A short block or long block (w/heads) are possibilities. But if you can handle a wrench or have knowlegable helpers, a bare block would be an inexpensive fix. I had to replace my Merc 188 (302 ci block) a number of years ago and found it was not an overwhelming project. The engine had low hours (~50) and I ordered the bare block from a Ford garage (~$200), honed the cylinders and went to work.

After pulling the cracked engine, I switched all components into the new block (pistons, connecting rods, crank, cam, lifters and all manifolds and electrics. Remember to change the freeze plugs to brass or they will rust out in a couple of years.

Getting a manual will be helpful and remember to take plenty of pictures of the original engine for assistance during reassembly.

It took me about a week working evenings in my garage to do the work alone. Better get started as summer boating is off and running.

Norm M.
erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

Stvishere

Recruit

Thanks to all for your feedback.....~ Unfortunately, I'm boat engine illiterate.... Just like Monico, I've called local boat shops here in Michigan and they are telling me that this will cost $4K in the event it's a cracked block. Gary, your right, I have the original bat style manifold...

Unfortunately, this job is over my head. Do any of you know someone and/or a reliable company in Michigan I have take a look at it?

What a bad lesson to learn the hard way, it's like chewing on nails.....

monico

Cadet

Hi guy's, I pulled intake manifold. I found a crack on the right side behind rods. The crack is 3/4" from bottom of the head. Crack is shaped like an upside down U shape 3-1/2" long. Left leg is 3/4" long and right side is 2" long. Is there a way to fix this with cold weld? Metal stitching? Or maybe Ideal 3-4-1 rod. I've been reading that welding possibly could make it worse. Is there another option other than new block? I just spent several thousand on sugery on my eye's and can't afford new engine. Please help!

Kovah55

Banned

Go on e-bay boat parts, fl someone i think rapido has what you need. Nope no welding, and sorry about your eye. If all is, cracked is the block then you can get a short block same year as yours as switch everything over with new gaskets.

Stvishere

Recruit

Monico, I've done a lot of checking around.....even looked at the price of a new (used) boat. As long as there's nothing else wrong with the boat, it's worth buying the block/engine/manifold assy as everyone has chimmed in. I confirmed a large crack on my manifold as well as 2 cracks on the block..... the best price I could find for someone to replace was $4K. In my case, my boat is in great shape and I'm just going to swallow the pill and have the work done. Can't believe improper winterization can do so much damage!! Thanks to all for your replies. Your feedback was very helpful..... Thanks again.

Stvishere

Recruit

Have any of you purchased Rapido Marine engine parts before? They seem to have good prices but I've heard mixed reviews.....

Let me know if anyone out there has delt with this company.... Thanks..~~

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Some of the members here have Rapido engines.
The owner of Rapido,Raul stands behind his work.
From the people here who have bought from him they are happy..

metro3pilot

Seaman Apprentice

I bought a 4.3L long block from Rapido last june and have put about 100 hours or so on it , runs great