99 4.3 fuel pump problem

RABIT959

Recruit
Okay guys i have a 99 larson with a 4.3 this thing was running now when you turn the key on you dont hear the elec fuel pump nor if you unhook the fuel line when you try to crank it does fuel come through.I removed the fuel pump and jumped the connections and the pump runs.I also put a new relay in it and it still wont run.Any help would be greatly appreciated.............thanks robert

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 99 4.3 fuel pump problem

Well, it going to take some information. Like what you have there. Mercruiser or Volvo, Maybe some model or SN's since neither Merc nor Volvo use year for ID.

RABIT959

Recruit

sorry bout that guys its a volvosetup.im need ing any help in trying to figure out what might be causing the fuel pump to not get any fire when its connected to the wiring harness.If i unplug the relay and run thru a series of test with a test light everything seems to check out fine but im stumped here

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

So if I'm reading you right, the fuel pump is powered when you crank the engine, but loses power when you release the key to the "run" position?

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hmm,

well aside from the obvious things like the fuse/Circuit breaker. If it's a carbed engine it should have a direct connection to the starter solenoid to provide power during cranking.

If it's an EFI engine the engine control computer usually determines when the pump operates.

I could point you to the Mercruiser manuals that would cover it and it's probably similar but since you have a Volvo I'll have to defer to Don.......

You can obtain Volvo Penta service manuals here

Good luck,

Rick