Mercury remote controls

rolmops

Vice Admiral
The remote control system on my boat,is a quicksilver that is original with a 1984 75 horse engine.
The handle (without t/t) is quite wobbly and after some reading I found that it has a screw at the bottom of the handle that can be tightened.
I checked on my handle and found a hole that is widened out ,but no screw to be seen.
I want to remove and replace the handle but apart from being wobbly it cannot be budged.
My question is,is there anything apart from the allen screw that can hold the handle and which must be removed first.Or is this simply a matter of more force?
Thank you for your help and opinions on this matter.

crappiejig

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercury remote controls

Do you know which remote you have? Quicksilver had quite a few models.If you have the commander 2000,there is a large retaining nut holding on the handle,on the side of the controls that would not be visible when mounted on the boat. For a blowup parts diagram of the 2000 and others see this site
http://dougrussell.com/partscatalog...,110,120,130,140,100,70,90,60,230,240,290,300 wow thats long if it doesnt work go doug russell,search parts catalog,then quicksilver,then remote controls volume 1. Hope this helps.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercury remote controls

Thank you for your reply.It is a 1980s commander shift box