1996 glastron gs 160

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
this may be in the wrong forum.
alright, pulled the trigger on a boat. runs good, has electric issues.

Radio
lights
fuel gauge
possible bilge

the boat has a 115 evinrude on it, seats need redone, and its missing the folding step in the back.

but the floor is strong and foam looks good aswell.

ive email glastron looking for a wiring diagram.

we tested the fuseblock and it had power, went over found an inline fuse for the radio. come back to the block and nothing. lights did work before. the main 12v line to the fuseblock also has an inline fuse. we replaced that and still nothing. wondering if anyone knows how to work kinks out of the electrics. any advice would be appreciated. thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1996 glastron gs 160

Check the battery compartment. Don't be surpised if you fing a wire not connected to a battery post. The OB runs off the battery and so does everything else but they use seperate wires.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the battery is connected right, we had running lights at one point. but now nothing, i will try to get pics up tomorow

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

If you dont already have one get a multimeter then chase wires to the source checking fuses and for cuts.. Alot of times it may be easier to run your own wires instead of chasing your tail on bad/old wiring job..

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i will look into the multimeter, does that work by touching bare wires? ive got a little tester that looks like a screwdriver and has a light inside.

also, the steering is really rough. it says teleflex rack and pinion. i assume it just needs to be oil/greased. any suggestions on how to do that? thanks

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so after looking in the electronics forum, i thought i would post alittle more. the boat runs good, the tach,trim, and speed guages all work. the fuel gauge,lights,bilge and radio do not. looking at the generic wiring diagram(i also email glastron asking for owners manuel and diagram) it seem like if i had no power none of the gauges would work? at work now so i cant get out there and its driving me nuts :p

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well found the problem, corroded power wire going into the harness. so i jumped that, now everything works but the radio(has power to it, thinking its just a bad head unit)

fuel gauge. it has 4 connections. one from the ignition, a ground, a blueish top wire(not sure what it does, couldnt see it to read it) and a orange wire. the gauge has power to it, but doesnt read until you touch the orange wire post. that post shows power to it aswell. which i dont think it should. so im thinking the gauge is bad. any ideas?

and the horn doesnt work, cant see power to the switch. not sure on that.

also, the acc switch has nothing attached to it? should it?

as you can see the seats are pretty bad.

also the ski pole is laying on the back seats, it has 2 holes in it, one that puts the pole about 6 inches about the motor, and the other about 4 inches from the base. my question is, can i use it at the much higher height? or will it cause problems?

thanks again.

Attachments

• asf.jpg
    asf.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG00023.jpg
    IMG00023.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

would not suprise me one bit if it were the head unit they give out usually every 2-5 years. Good job tracing the wiring.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

any ideas on the fuel gauge issue? thanks again.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

prob wiring from the tank, the gauge itself or the sender from the tank.. Not sure how to test the sender as i have never had one go bad on me..

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks xx, im going to try and find where the tank is and check the ground. ive heard that the ground controls everything with the sender.

i did alittle searching and didnt come across a way to oil/grease the rack and pinion, do i disconnect it from the motor and spray some wd in it or something?
thanks for any help.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

Good job on the electrical wiring! That is a nightmare! Really happy mine works for the time being.

As far as the steering goes, there should be some zerk fittings around the tilt tube. Normally in the front or the bottom. grease those and really all the rest you can find. There will be some on the motor as well.

If that does not do it you may need to replace the steering cable. You probaly have a teleflex rack and pinion. I recommend the No Feed Back system. I had a similar steering issue and put that on it and it is absolutley fantastic.

Oh and make sure the torque tab is in the correct position.
Good luck

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

tilk tube?is that on the motor itself? tork tab? where would i find this? and what would it look it? thanks again

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

took the boat out last weekend, no real problems. just the speedo acted weird(registering 20 mph less then when we started, then stopped working all together)

my question is, i blew the tube out. but the actual mount the tub goes into im not sure if its in the right position. should it be straight down? or at 90% to the transom. i assume its some form of breakaway for beaching situations. thought?

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Imo speedos are useless and more trouble than they are worth unless they are using gps.. It will never be accurate but will give you an approximate.. i would just use a gps or borrow one and see what speed you are going at a particular rpm and just use the rpm as your gauge..

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

check for any resistance on the power wires going to the gauges also, make sure you check all your grounds, as grounds can cause all kinds of different issues