part swap question

broncos_rule

Recruit
ive searched and didnt find what im looking for maybe used wrong words but would a 1964 60hp lower unit bolt onto a 1964 40hp both johnson motors my lower unit is froze and waiting on my manual to come in to finish getting it apart seeing its hanging now and cant figure out how to get it off the rest of the way im a total newb to boats

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: part swap question

A froze lower unit might be as easy as a bearing... or as bad a total rust out... if they're both manual shift you might want to open up the LU on the frozen engine and see what's inside...

broncos_rule

Recruit

im hopeing its as simple as bearings like you and a friend mentioned just stuck getting lower unit off and manual is in the mail yet

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

I had this happen on a merc i/o lower I purchased used. It had been stored dry and seized.
I filled it with PB Blast and let it soak for 2 days. Freed it right up and still working great 2 years later.

broncos_rule

Recruit

i filled it with penatrating fluid instead of the oil but still want to get it apart to look at it i will know more when i get manual inhand so i can see what i have to do to finish removing it and get everything out that way i can give it a real good cleaning either way but if i have to replace it i have the option origonaly mentioned and the gears on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Evin...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

i just wanna wait on the manual to ensure i do things right concidering the price on the lower unit parts new if i cant find doner if needed

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The 60hp and 40hp are not the same. Not only are they different, the 40 came in electric and manual shift versions.