1998 Johnson 2 stroke 50 hp with oil leak

acollins

Recruit
Hello, new to this but have found this site to be very full of imformation. I have recently bought a 1998 19ft roughneck bout with a 98 johnson 50hp 2 stroke oil injected engine. Took the boat out for a cruise prior to purchase, ran good started easy and pushed the boat with ease. I bought the boat, have went out on it twice. While sitting with the engine completly down, i noticed black sticky oil leaking where the prop meets the lower unit housing. After searching through this site i found that to not be a problem. Today while looking at the engine after sitting for about 7 days i noticed a slight more amount of the black oil leaking from the same spot. In addition I noticed the inside of the prop had 2 small spots of lower unit oil in it. It didnt appear to have leaked any on the ground. Is this small amount of lower unit oil being inside the prop a problem? I also pulled the bottom drain plug out and didnt notice any water coming out. The lube appeared to be like an aqua color is this a normal color for johnson or lubri matic oil? Im not familiar with johnson engines, i have only had a I/O with a merc alpha 1 prior to this. Thanks in advance.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 Johnson 2 stroke 50 hp with oil leak

sounds normal to me, there are some different color oil on the market. i would just keep an eye on the lower oil for a short period of time. but everytime you remove the screw plug you need to change the seal on the screw. buy a dozen of them 0332584 WASHER, Seal

acollins

Recruit
Re: 1998 Johnson 2 stroke 50 hp with oil leak

Thanks for the reply, so the lower unit oil being inside of the prop where the exhaust is isnt a prob?