Hummingbird GPS + Depth Finder for beginner?

CrazyBoy

Seaman Apprentice
Hi!

I just got a Glastron SX170, located in Montreal / Canada.. I wanted to know if it's a good idea to get a depth finder + gps, I don't wanna hit a rock or something being a beginner..Thx

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hummingbird GPS + Depth Finder for beginner?

Yes, not because they will prevent you from hitting anything, but they are very useful tools if used properly. The GPS for obvious reasons for anyone that has been out after dark, it makes locating that dock you launched from in daylight much easier to find. You'd be amazed how hard it is to find your way in the dark on the water. The fishfinder has obvious uses for anyone fishing, but even when just cruising around it gives you a clear picture of the structure below your boat, the reason it won't prevent you from hitting anything is because the transponder for the fish finder is mounted on the transom (back) of your boat. So by the time it sees it, you've hit it. That said you learn the waters you spend most your time on, and you remember where the low areas are.

Ian

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Moved to the proper forum area:)

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Im not a huge fan of the intergrated depth gps finders.. I put my dept finder in the very front of my boat near my trolling motor because this is where i use it most.. I can see it from my driving position for depth and structure.. I obviously want my gps close to me while im driving and wouldnt be able to read it if it were in the front of the boat.. I have a greyscale dual beam hummingbird(~150) and a Garmin Colorado 400c unit(300-450)..

The biggest thing is to search the websites of garmin,lowrance,humminbird,etc for the maps of lakes you frequent the most.. I have bought a unit only to find that they dont offer maps for my local lakes while another company did..

CrazyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

I got the Hummingbird 757c for $330 CAD brand new in sealed box, it was like 1/2 price.. wow

Hope it's not only for the US as i'm in canada... :confused:

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I got the Hummingbird 757c for $330 CAD brand new in sealed box, it was like 1/2 price.. wow

Hope it's not only for the US as i'm in canada... :confused:

Great price and the Humminbird use the GOOD Navionics cards. I was going to recommend the 580 as a good cheap combo unit but you got a great deal on that one.

CrazyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

I just opened the box of the 757c for installations, seems a little complicated, do you recommend I have it installed or can I install it myself?

Actually I was wondering if I should install the transducer on the inside or outside? I don't really like making holes in a boat.. lol

Thx

CrazyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

I just opened the box of the 757c for installations, seems a little complicated, do you recommend I have it installed or can I install it myself?

Actually I was wondering if I should install the transducer on the inside or outside? I don't really like making holes in a boat.. lol

Thx

daniel2229

Seaman

I mounted my HummingBird transponder to floor of my bilge just beneath the oil pan on my engine. I made sure there were no wires close by. I also used a slow curing epoxy so no bubble formed while curing. It works great. The only feature that does not work is the water temp as the Transponder reads mostly the temp inside the doghouse.

Before I made the descision to mount the transponder this way. I went out on the lake and slowly cruised a couple of areas that I knew with the transponder hanging over the edge of the boat. Then I took a bucket of water and put a couple of inches of water in the bilge and placed the transponder in the bilge where I wanted to mount it. I repeated the passes in the same area and found the readings were identical.

That cinched it for me. No new holes in my boat! It works great, I never have to worry about the transponder being ripped of by anything.