Volvo P. DP Engine Alignment ??

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good morning all,

A couple of weeks back Don and a few suggested I look at Ebay for an engine alignment tool for my Volvo P.. Much appreciate that suggestion!! :) It did arrive this past week and I have been putting it to good use this morning.

What I have is a 2003 5.7 Gxi mated with a VP DP. Engine/drive have 125 hrs - TX fresh water only. I'm sure that's all the info required for this conversation.

Last fall from good advice here I pulled my drive and stored it in the garage, winterized the boat and sealed up the open drive area. The last time anyone "supposedly" checked the alignment was fall of 2006 - this was also the last time the drive has been off. Boat has been flawless in regards to operation etc.. I'm a very seasoned mechanic (though new to boats) thus have been doing my own Mx for the last few years. After much reading etc on the forum here I realized the need to be pulling and checking the drive and components - here we are today.

Pulled the boat out of storage last night and parked her in the driveway. First thing I did was grab my new alignment tool and slid it in. The tool slide in with some resistance yet definitely went in completely. I removed it and used the existing grease to check for spline contact. Only 4 or 5 splines made good contact on the top/12 O-clock position on the tool, thus what I considered the tight spot etc..
Now here is where my question really begins: With the splines making significant contact to the top of the tool, adjusting the front engine mounts down should be the proper process correct? I ask because I figured if anything I would have had to raise the front/engine given sag or engine mount compression over time.. (I must mention here that I did "adjust/raise" the front/ engine and the tool resistance was "much" worse).

Well, after literally lowering the front of the engine down near 1/4 of an inch (based off of the fresh threads on the mount bolts), the tool slides in completely with absolutely very little to "no" resistance - I even rotated the engine checking each 90 degrees of rotation. Currently I snugged down the mount bolts and my mechanical experience/grease monkey brain tells me I have it right where it should be..

I guess I am just perplexed at the need to adjust the front of the engine "down" that far. You think it could have been that far off from the manufacturer etc.? The rear mounts did not look adjustable yet maybe they compressed enough that the front adjustment was required.?

I just wanted to run all this by Sir Don and the other resident experts before I mount the drive and complete my spring prep.

Thank you all!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo P. DP Engine Alignment ??

Well, after literally lowering the front of the engine down near 1/4 of an inch (based off of the fresh threads on the mount bolts), the tool slides in completely with absolutely very little to "no" resistance - I even rotated the engine checking each 90 degrees of rotation. Currently I snugged down the mount bolts and my mechanical experience/grease monkey brain tells me I have it right where it should be..

Ayuh,... I believe you have it Right....

My guess is, the Rear mounts have settled, or it was only Close from the begining...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess I am just perplexed at the need to adjust the front of the engine "down" that far. You think it could have been that far off from the manufacturer etc.?

Absolutely. I have seen many techs that think if the bar can be put in all the way by hand that it's ok. I have had to re-adjusted many for that reason.

Put new spline grease on the bar for best results, and make sure you put spline grease on the shaft when installing the drive.

KJSmitty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you both! :)

Finished up most of the spring stuff yet haven't mounted the drive yet. Ive ran it on the hose a few times and have again checked the alignment several times in between to ensure nothing settled etc. Slips in like a hot knife in butter. Still amazed it was that far off. Gimbal bearing feels completely smooth as well.

I did pull the cap/rotor off the distributor today. Good Lordy there was a bunch of corrosion on the cap/contacts (6 seasons). Ive never seen a cap look like that. Even the inside of the distributor had chunks that had been knocked off by the rotor. I plan to just order both tomorrow yet part of me whispers "clean them and give it a try"... But that's because the pair is going to run me about $120.:eek: Volvo loves their parts. :(

Thanks again men!