Merc 115 hp throttle question

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
As a newbie boater last year, I was a little perplexed by the center of the throttle where it connects to the starboard sidewall. I thought I read in a manual somewhere that the center was a round button that, when pushed, would make the engine run up in RPMs while the shifter was in neutral. But on our boat the button doesn't do anything when pushed in. Have I got it all wrong?

Thanks. -Ken

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Merc 115 hp throttle question

I have a button on my controls that when pressed will activate the choke.My controls are from an 71 merc.

crappiejig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On remotes such as the commander 3000 series, push button and while holding it in,advance the throttle to increase your rpm. Holding the button in will keep the shift linkage from engaging fwd gear. Hope this helps.

Navy Jr.

On remotes such as the commander 3000 series, push button and while holding it in,advance the throttle to increase your rpm. Holding the button in will keep the shift linkage from engaging fwd gear. Hope this helps.

Ah, ha! So that's how it works. Makes perfect sense. Not sure I'll ever have a need to use it (I let dealer do all servicing), but sure is nice to know. Thanks!!:)

75TowerOfPower

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well the button on my Merc controls is the electric choke but my ignition switch will do the choke when pushed in while turning to start. The lever on the controls is the fast idle and that changes the timing on my dist. when raises the idle and timing. I hope this helps

Navy Jr.

Thanks, 75TOP. I think I'll go with what Crappiejig said 'cause I recall reading in one of my manuals about the button acting as a throttle, and I also recall seeing a small pamphlet of installation instructions for the 3000 something or other controls, so I think I've got that set up. I think the two docs are buried on the bottom of the large glove box on the boat, and I'm too lazy to uncover it right now to find them. -Ken