omc 3 litre high speed hesitation

shimano

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just put in my boat today started right up, let it warm up.When i accelerated it came out of the hole great but once the rpm's increased it was hesitating.I can rev up to 4000 but it still has the slight hesitation.Idle's great no hesitation.Wondering if this could be old fuel causing this or should I look elsewhere?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: omc 3 litre high speed hesitation

Ayuh,... Did you Tune it Up,..??

Did you change the Fuel Filters,..??

shimano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put a inline filter at the end of last season .It's a large spin on ,I thought it would last a little longer that this.Pulled the plugs they look like new.Had some issues with my centrifugal advance last year(one of the weights would stick shut)I took it apart this year checked and cleaned everything put it back together it seem's fine.But i'm not sure about spring tension.they look well used ,would that effect the top end.I'm going down too the dock right now to put in some fresh fuel,re cheque the timing,Might even throw in another set of plugs and try that.The distributor is kinda noisy can it be rebuilt? Thanks for your reply.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...Usually, a hi-speed miss is from a Lean condition,...
I'd concentrate on the Fuel system...
Pull the spin-on filter,+ Dump it out, looking for Water....

shimano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll definitely do that , Thanks. I'll let you know the out come.

shimano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Checked the fuel filter for water found none,Changed filter .no change in performance .Decided to change point gap(manual said.035).Set the gap smaller by eye and now the boat runs perfect.Could the manual be wrong or is my distributor screwed up(worn bearing/bushing)It is a bit noisy.It's a delco distributor and looks kinda cheap compared to the prestolite.Anyway i'm going for a good rip tonite I'll see how it does.Thanks for the help!!!

Bondo

Staff member

Decided to change point gap(manual said.035).Set the gap smaller by eye and now the boat runs perfect.

Ayuh,... I donno what manual you're reading, but that's the sparkplug Gap,.. Not the Points...

shimano

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OOps,Ok I guess i'm gettin old, don't know if its my eyesight or mind.Thanks for your time Bond-o .This is a great site sometimes you just need another perspective,Especially a knowledgeable:) one!!!