Decode Serial Numbers, Stator Removal (470)

deerslayer303

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Folks.

My boat is a '78 Grady White, but someone has either did some updating or its a newer engine (470), I have the 4" heat exchanger, and I have the Alternator conversion.

Engine- 5821095
Drive- 6134160 what drive is this so I can download the appropriate manual

Also since I have the alternator can I pull off the bottom hub and remove the stator and then just reinstall the hub with not stator under it??

Thanks again,
Shawn

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Decode Serial Numbers, Stator Removal (470)

Save yourself the trouble and just cut and tape the 2 yellow wires coming from the stator,
the manual #8 is for the 3.7 inline 4 cylinder (470-488)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the stator isn't being used, I do like to take them out. I have seen a couple where the magnets come loose from the flywheel and hit the stator and really mess things up.
If the stator isn't there, the magnest have nothing to hit.

deerslayer303

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can someone tell me which out drive I have that the manual I want to download and print. I need to make sure I got the right one My little printer don't like those BIG jobs.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

#8 for the motor

bhammer

Ensign

Yes, remove the allen screws and stator. As Don said, things can go bad. You can also remove the magnets. Just tap them with a hammer and they will come off. I don;t know if it will affect balance though. Had a buddy that had one come off and we did the upgrade and then removed the stator and magnets. Couldn;t tell a difference.

frustratedboater

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same motor and setup as you've described on my Four Winns, and spliced the wires together for the Alt kit, due the the magnets coming off. Sucks when it happens miles from the ramp....

You should have the Alpha I drive on that setup. Is that your question?

-FB

deerslayer303

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same motor and setup as you've described on my Four Winns, and spliced the wires together for the Alt kit, due the the magnets coming off. Sucks when it happens miles from the ramp....

You should have the Alpha I drive on that setup. Is that your question?

-FB

Yeah, I don't know which out drive I have it looks like in the Adults Only sticky thread there are separated downloadable manuals one for the engines and then some for the out drives.

My Serial number for the drive is at the top of this thread