how does a choke solenoid work

grew153owner

Cadet
I have a late 60"s thunderbolt 500 with electric start. The choke operates by pushing in the key which closes the choke. Should it stay closed once I release the key? Mine doesn't, and the engine won't run properly with the choke closed. I have to remove the engine cover and push down on the linkage to open the choke so the engine will run. Should the choke open again as soon as I release the key or will it open on it's own when the engine starts?

crappiejig

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: how does a choke solenoid work

12 volt choke solenoid will operate only with key depressed (or button). Release and no choke,unless solenoid is sticking! So are you saying you need some choke in order to run after the motor warms up?

grew153owner

Cadet

The choke is sticking and not opening once I let go the key. If I work the choke manually everything is fine, the motor fires up right away. I removed the solenoid and had the wire replaced but the plunger is still sticking. The spring on the linkage seems fine, so I think I'll just replace the solenoid if I can find one.

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

that thing is $$$$$$. if you can r and r it yourself by all means do. It is a simple device. I suggest cleaning it up real good and putting some light grease on it. Then make sure that all the linkage nuts are not tightened too much. do a little tinkering and lubing and it should free it up.